Chapter Sixteen - Proximity

I slept through the night peacefully.

When I woke up, I realized why.

Luca's arms were wrapped tightly around my body, one around my waist and the other around my shoulders. His chin was resting on my head, my face nuzzled into his neck.

I was still for a few minutes, feeling his chest rise and fall steadily.

His skin was warm under my touch as I traced the curvature of his bicep with my left hand, slowly dragging my fingertips to his chest.

"That tickles."

His deep voice startled me and I pulled my hand away immediately. I whispered a quick apology, glad he couldn't see the blush that burned in my cheeks.

We were silent for a few moments before I tried to roll over in a bid to escape Luca's embrace.

He hesitated for a moment before releasing me.

"Couldn't sleep upstairs last night?" He asked, his voice deep.

I shook my head as I stared at the ceiling, refusing to look at him.

"I couldn't get him out of my head," I admitted.

"Your dad?"

I shook my head again, surprised that I hadn't thought of him in a few days.

"That man who took those girls," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

Luca rolled over on his back, joining me to stare at the ceiling.

"You don't have anything to worry about now," he sighed.

I turned my head to look at him.

Luca looked almost remorseful.

"I'm sorry you had to kill him," I said.

He turned to look at me.

"I don't regret it."

We maintained eye contact for a few moments before I turned my gaze away.

"Do you wish I did?" He asked. "Would it make you feel better?"

I took a deep breath.

"That's just it... I feel bad because I'm glad you killed him."

I felt my throat tighten.

"He would've killed me," I whispered.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to blink away the tears that burned behind my eyes. One rolled from the corner of my eye, down the side of my face, and disappeared into the pillow I laid on.

We were silent for a moment before Luca reached out and pulled me back into him, this time pressing the entire length of his body against mine.

He held me tightly.

I gulped the knot in the back of my throat. I found myself holding onto him around his torso, as though my life were still in immediate danger.

Luca brushed a hand through my hair, holding my head against his chest.

We stayed like that for a few moments as my heart pounded in my chest. I couldn't tell if I was about to have an anxiety-induced panic attack or a proximity-related heart attack.

We were so close.

I heard the front door open and close outside the bedroom door.

"If that's Bates, there will be another death that I won't be remorseful for," Luca commented.