ch.40

the distance pt.2

  we all arrived in time, telling rick everything had been checked, that it was safe.

    "what do you mean? why wouldn't we go?" carl questioned, throwing up hishands at his dad.

   "if he were lying, or he wanted to hurt us. but he isn't." michonne sneered, sending dirty looks to rick.

   i nodded my head, "give the guy a chance, we need this." i stated, glancing around the room. some nodded, some looked unsure, some didn't even have an expression.

   "so we're going, all of us. somebody say something if they feel differently." michonne announced, her eyes slowly scanning the group.

    "i don't know man." daryl started, contemplating on what to say, "this barn smells like horse shit"

   i shook my head smiling in disbelief of his word choosing as i looked back up to rick.

    i gave him a simple nod when he looked at me, showing it was the right thing to do.

   "yeah... we're going" rick decided, the group smiled, giving each other small nods.

    "so, where are we going? where's your camp?" rick questioned aaron, turning around to put him in view.

   "well, every time i've done this, i've been behind the wheel driving recruits back." aaron started, his voice sort of shaky, "i believe you're good people, i've bet my life on it. i'm just not ready to bet my friends lives just yet"

   i stood up, walking to where he was, kneeling down in front of him. michonne and rick soon coming up behind and beside me.

   "well this time it's going to be different. we say you're not driving, you're not driving." i started, giving him an intense look, "you've already put my friends in danger just by being here. so if you want to get home, you'll have to tell us how."

   he blinked a couple times, unsure if he was gonna regret his choices. his eyes fell from mine, down to where rick was, laying out a map.

   "go north on route 16." he paused for a second thinking, "the rest i'll tell when we get there." he stammered, you could hear the shakiness in his voice.

   "we'll take 23 north. you'll give us directions from there" rick announced, keeping his eyes on aaron's.

   "that's a bad idea. we've cleared 16. it'll be faster." aaron argued, still looking to rick.

    "we'll take 23. leave at sundown."

   i gave up on listening after aaron and rick couldnt come to an agreement. i stood up from where i was kneeling, and headed over to where glenn and tara were.

    "you okay?" glenn asked as i slowly intertwined our fingers, nodding, "yeah, are you?"

   "i have to be." he mumbled, reaching down to the locket with his initial that hung around my neck.

    tara must've noticed, causing her to smile as she watched us admire each other.

   "just imagine them with a kid." she whispered to davina, nudging her arm. davina slowly nodded smiling, "they do fit perfectly together"