POKER NIGHT

S T E V I E P O V

Propped up on my bed, I shield my head with the pillow, trying to find solace amidst the escalating volume of the poker game.

Their boisterous nature shines through in their intense dedication to the game, and sometimes that results in some heated verbal exchanges.

I heard the doorbell, which is kinda odd since everyone's already here, unless they ordered pizza.

After a couple of minutes, an eerie silence descends, a silence so profound that it becomes unsettling. I had to peel myself away from the comfort of my bed just to ensure that they haven't harmed one another.

As I entered the lounge, I noticed that they were all gathered around a large round table, and to my utter horror, Dominic was among them.

I find myself folding my arms across my chest, my gaze sweeping over the bodyguards stationed around the room. Shaking my head in disbelief, I retreat to my room. "I thought I'd deliver your mobile in person." Dominic said, to get my attention. Not bothering to take notice, I made my way to my room and closed the door. As I paced the room, I couldn't help but wonder why a billionaire like Dominic Davenport would be in my home, socialising with my friends.

I am beyond confused, to the point where the word "confused" doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm lost as to why he's really here.

I decided to leave my comfort zone and head to the lounge to watch the guys play poker and suss out what Dominic is up to. I find myself being curious about the reasons behind his presence and the means through which he managed to locate my place of residence.

As I reached for a soft drink, I observed each guy, trying to decipher who held the winning poker hand.

I quietly sit, the anticipation building as I watch their focused expressions, waiting for any sign of movement or sound. With a smile on his face, Dominic gestures and nods at one of his bodyguards, who then approaches me and carefully sets a mobile box on the small coffee table that is positioned right in front of me.

When I opened it and saw the new up-to-date iPhone, I couldn't believe that such an incredible gift was given to me. In a gesture of disapproval, I shake my head before passing it back to the bodyguard. Despite the offer, he declined to accept it.

I placed the box back on the small coffee table. I observed Dominic, his gaze fixed on me, anticipating his explanation. "Your mobile was outdated and couldn't be replaced." He informs me as he places his cards on the table with a flush and wins.

The guys throw their cards on the table, making a big show of sighing and mumbling. "Well, you got us," Shaw said, picking up the cards to shuffle for another game.

Without uttering a single word, I sat and observed as Shaw proceeded to deal the cards for the next game. "Let's up the stakes." Dominic suggested, glancing at each guy sitting around the large table. "What do you have in mind?" Shaw asks, sorting his cards out in his hand. "I will throw fifty grand in the middle if you win." They all gawk at him with wide eyes and mouths agape.

Even I'm shocked by what he's said.

I stared at Dominic, questioning his motives and the hidden agenda behind his actions. "We don't have that kind of money." Shaw stated, peering at him, and shakes his head.

To assert his authority, Dominic straightens his back, his posture rigid and unwavering. With a simple gesture, he signals to one of his bodyguards, who tosses fifty grand onto the table.

As I stare at the money, I notice that all the guys at the table are doing the same. Never had I witnessed such a vast sum of money, arranged on my table in the comfort of my home.