[ twenty-four ]

She had to admit that the more she read the book, the more upset she'd gotten

All this time without knowing who he was and now she was struggling with the fact that he was... well, bright. In more than one sense of the word, Sirius Black was bright in his time at Hogwarts. He lit up a room with charm and laughter, he illuminated his presence with a smile and a wink, he brought joy to those who mattered so much to him.

She wanted to hate him.

She wanted to hate him so much. A killer, a betraying bastard who did nothing but destroy what was around him; but, the more she analyzed the writing of L Evans, the more his true personality resonated with her... it made her question what could have really happened that night he was arrested, the night Harry's parents were killed.

She'd ask Lupin if she wasn't mad with him as well.

It has frustrated her so much more than the bracelet ever had, and it had gotten to the point where George confiscated the damn thing after three weeks.

"George!" She'd protested, following him into his dorm room. "Give it back."

He tossed it in a drawer and locked it with a key. "No."

She watched him store the key into his pocket. "No?"

He nodded, crossing his arms. "No."

She groaned and stormed out of the room. It only took until dinner for her to be soft on him again, and only a week before she decided to ask for it back, the words of it still filling her head with questions upon questions upon questions.

He said no.

"And he still won't give it back," Evelyn tells the table. "I'm on the verge of bloody killing him."

"What is it again?" Harry asks.

Evelyn swallows her bite of danish and nods, only now remembering that she and Harry have been too busy to even say hello in the halls, let alone sit down to have a book club moment.

"A diary," she tells him. "It was written by this woman—"

"Live-Wyre!" George calls.

Evelyn's brows furrow before even turning his way. George never calls her that... it's always been Fred's nickname. The crease in her forehead only tightens when she sees he's wearing one of Fred's t-shirts as well as his flannel. She second guesses her twin differentiating skills.

"Well Fred looks awfully cheery today," Ron chuckles.

Evelyn nods slowly, softening her gaze and testing the waters as he nears. "Hey..."

He drops down onto the bench next to her. "Georgie's lookin' for ya," he says.

"He is, is he?" She asks, smiling a bit to herself.