Just Because

Davey pulled his coat closer to him, another cup of coffee in one hand, Jack's hand in the other. Three times now he had been pulled up to a random store window by Jack. He would just light up looking at whatever was behind the glass. And while Davey focused on not spilling his coffee all over the sidewalk, he was dragged off again. He certainly didn't mind, seeing Jack happy made his day.

"You just ask and I'll get you something." Davey hummed after a moment of walking in silence. Jack was more skipping than walking, pulling Davey along with him once more. He stopped suddenly and turned to look up at him.

"I refuse to let you buy me anything."

"Oh what a shame. I saw you taking interest in those canvases back there." Davey turned to look over his shoulder.

Jack put a hand under his chin, moving Davey's head to look back at him, "No."

Davey kissed his nose "Yes. Come on."

It was Davey's turn to tug Jack down the sidewalk, weaving in between people, avoiding dropped containers of fries and discarded gum on the cement.

"Davey you don't have to get me anything, I'm serious." Jack tried.

"Well I am. It's a gift." Davey smiled over his shoulder at him, stopping in front of the door of the store.

"Why?" Jack crossed his arms.
"Just because."

The two retreated to the emptiness and quiet of the art store. Old carpeted floors that definitely needed deep cleaned, but only Davey noticed that detail. Cream walls lined with canvases, easels, and big paint brushes. Smaller paint brushes and paints organized neatly on wooden shelves that acted as isles. It was a very cozy, calm place. Davey enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, he had already lost Jack in the mess of brushes and color. He sighed to himself and began weaving his way through the isles to find the short brunette. Many times he bumped into people in the cramped space and would awkwardly apologize a few hundred times.

Jack was standing on his top toes, trying to grab a paint brush off a higher shelf on the opposite side of the store.

"Need a little help there?" Davey laughed lightly, joining Jack at his side.

"That would be appreciated, yes." Jack huffed, looking over at Davey.

Davey hummed "Good luck finding it." He smiled, taking another sip of coffee.

Jack rolled his eyes so hard Davey was afraid they would get stuck in the back of his head. "Woooowww. Offer to buy me things and don't even help me reach them."

"If you can reach it I can buy it, how about that?" Davey was shoved by Jack before he grabbed the paint brush for him.

"Thanks Dave!" Jack beamed, taking Davey's hand and walking to another part of the store.

The pair were in there for a few more minutes, Jack picking out a couple of colors he liked and a small canvas.

"Lunch?" Davey asked, handing Jack his bag after checking out.

"Only if I get to pay." Jack took the bag from him, turning to leave the store.

"Fair enough." Davey nodded, following him.

Snow was coming down now, little white flakes gently falling through the sky. They settled in Jack's hair and on his eyelashes, he looked beautiful in the snow. Dark eyes and dark hair glowing against the bright white. Like an Angel. Davey couldn't help but stare at him.

"Watch yourself, Dave, you'll walk into something." Jack looked up at him, a small smile ghosting over his lips.

Davey quickly averted his gaze back to the sidewalk ahead of them.

"Hey I would do the same. I'm not too bad on the eye." Jack swung their hands back and forth a bit.

Davey laughed, rolling his eyes, "My God." He pulled his coat closer to him, shivering a bit.

Jack wrapped an arm around his waist, pulling him close for the warmth. He ducked into a smaller cafe, keeping Davey's hip attached to his. Davey shrugged off his coat, enjoying the warm escape from the cold January day.

They waited in the doorway until a waiter came by and greeted them. The two were seated at a smaller table towards the back next to one of the huge windows. It was much like the cafe Davey had met Race in, except a natural pallet rather than modern and stainless steel.

Davey immediately looked out, noting every bird flying by and every pedestrian walking. Jack took this time to admire Davey, noting every bump of his nose and freckle on his face. A few ones on his cheek, barely there, and a small scar above his eyebrow.

"Something wrong?" Davey's hum snapped Jack from his thoughts.

"Nothing, baby. Just looking." Jack took his hand under the table as a light blush appeared on Davey's cheeks.

A/N a long one to make up for how long I was gone hope you like :)
Also I snuck a Princess Bride reference into the last chapter bonus points if you caught it.