35.

Another bland day was falling victim to the shadows of the night. The warm glow of the sun fell behind the skyline, and the cool nights air found its way through the city, touching the spines of those who were still walking the streets. Winter was coming. I could feel it in the breeze that seeped in through the car window, trapping me in an icy hug and refused to let go. It touched my face and made my skin tingle a peachy pink.

"Do you mind closing your window?" I asked, glancing over at Harry.

He blinked out of his intense looking day dream, glancing over at me before doing what I asked wordlessly. Despite his silence, his palm was rested possessively on my thigh, as if I would try and make a run for it at any given moment. Every so often, his thumb would move, and it would sent an involuntary shiver down my spine. I think it was a reminder to him that I was okay. After his outburst with Niall, he seemed to think I was in danger.

But it was okay, I didn't mind it, strangely enough. I liked being close to Harry. It was something I couldn't run away from now, not when his presence was so toxically addicting. The car drive with Niall was filled with anxious thoughts and anger. When I was with Harry, I felt different. I felt alive.
Slightly frightened, but alive nonetheless.  

Given that, I was thankful I had driven the remaining ten hours with Harry, because Niall was too explosive for my liking. It was selfish, though I was glad that Harry had refused to even bat an eyelash in Niall's direction after whatever they had spoken about. I tried not to stare at Niall as Harry had pulled me towards his car, watching as the blood dripped down his face. His pale eyes watched as Harry backed out of the parking lot and sped off towards the highway.

I didn't question anything given how tense he looked.  Despite the softness of the hand that touched my leg, his other hand gripped the steering wheel so tightly, I wondered if he could even feel it anymore. Other the occasional itch or slight twitch, he had stayed in the same position for the last ten hours. If it was anyone else, I might of been concerned about them, though I knew Harry must of been in deep thought, something I was yet to work out how to approach delicately. The days felt as if they were blurring together because of moments like this though.  It just felt like another day that Niall stirred the pot, another day where I couldn't figure out what mood Harry was in and how to go about asking about it. The long drives that took over majority of the day weren't helping either.

Whatever was spoken about between the men while I was in McDonalds wasn't something that settled well with Harry given how silent he was being, I got that much; and a part of me was to anxious to bring anything up. I stole glances here and there, and it was almost as if I could see Harry dipping into the dark parts of his brain. I didn't know whether to be intrigued about the transformation I was witnessing or worried. If Niall was telling the truth, then what Harry would be going through would be painful, and a part of me wished I could sooth the demanding voice in his head that told him him that the wrong way was the right way. I just didn't know if I was even allowed to approach that topic.

"Finally," Harry breathed, breaking my train of thought.

Looking away from my worn out boots, I glanced up. We had just entered what seemed to be the city center of New York. I stared out the window, my breath fogging it slightly as I watched the world outside. Businesspeople hustled down the street, suited up and a look of determination pressed on their faces. Tourists were dotted around them, making their differences known as they walked a slower pace, seeming in awe of their surroundings. The other people who breeze through both parties, wore fashion as if it was a part of their identity and I could tell they were locals. It was fascinating to pick apart the groups of people that all shared the same sidewalk, there had to be hundreds.