Final Days & Blinded Haze

CHAPTER ELEVEN:

Third Person Narrative:

Exhausted but delighted with his and Harry's night's work, Charlie returned to Gryffindor Tower to find a sleeping Hermione, curled up on her favourite armchair near the fire, waiting for him in the common room. Walking over quietly as not to suddenly disturb her peaceful slumber, he squatted down in front of her.

"Hermione," he whispered, caressing her cheek gently with the knuckle of his index finger. She stirred, but did not wake up. With a light chuckle, Charlie placed a feathery kiss on her lips, which formed into a smile as he pulled back.

"Hey," he said as her eyes fluttered open, awoken at the sensation that danced across her lips.

"Mmm..." she breathed, still half-asleep. "What time is it?"

"A little past midnight, I reckon... what're you doing down here?"

"I wanted to wait up for Harry, but I must've dozed off," she said, now fully coming too. "Has he come back yet? Did the Felix Felicis work?"

"Yes, he got the memory," Charlie answered with a smile. "But I'll tell you tomorrow, yeah? You look shattered."

Hermione pouted, but allowed him to pull her up by the hand. Once they were stood together, she laid her head comfortably on his shoulder, her hands wrapped instinctively around his neck.

She nuzzled into the crook of his neck, asking drowsily, "Can't we just sleep down here tonight?"

Charlie sighed, his breath stirring the untamed baby hairs atop of her head. He desired nothing more than to take Hermione up on her offer, but knew that spending a second night in the common room was bound to cause an upset with McGonagall if they were caught.

Having read his mind effortlessly again, Hermione answered the question for herself, "I know... I know, we can't, but it was worth a shot."

She pulled back, and the look she gave Charlie nearly made his heart melt, the adrenaline of the night paving way for a painful desire to be with her. And so, he kissed her again. Lazily and lovingly, putting as much emotion into it as he could. Hermione, though sleepy, returned it in equal measure; slow and tender.

Eventually, they broke apart, and Hermione took him silently by the hand and walked towards the entrance to the dormitories before letting go with a sleepy smile.

"Goodnight, baby," she muttered, with a final, soft, kiss. Charlie bid a quick farewell in response and watched her ascend the staircase, grinning as she did so.

The following morning came quickly. As Charlie had promised, he and Harry told Hermione — and Ron — everything that had happened during next morning's Charms lesson, having first cast the Muffliato spell upon those nearest them. They were both satisfyingly impressed by the way Harry had wheedled the memory out of Slughorn and Ron was positively in awe when Charlie told them about Voldemort's Horcruxes and Dumbledore's promise to take either Harry or Charlie along, should he find another one.