ch.43

spend

  i woke up early so i was able to see glenn before he left on his scavenging trip with those assholes.

   "are you sure i shouldn't ask deanna to rethink my job? you know i'm really good to have on runs" i questioned glenn, while helping him and the others load the van.

   he shook his head, "as much as i'd love for you to be with me always, i need you here. they need you here." he started, stopping in his tracks to hold my hands, "you always talk to me about missing your job, here's you chance to practice again."

   i nodded, looking down to where his hands held mine. "i'm just worried you won't come back. promise me we'll see each other again." i pleaded, watching his uneasy eyes look away from mine.

    he released my hands, walking back into the storage room. i followed him from behind, wanting to hear his response. "you know we can't promise each other things like that."

   i frowned, checking the items off the check list as they were placed in the van. "i can promise you i'll try my hardest to come back to you, along with everyone else." he stated, closing the van doors.

   "okay" i mumbled, looking at him with sad eyes, "be safe"

   he smiled, leaning in to plant a kiss on my lips. "i love you" he stated, pulling his head away to look at me.

   "i love you too." i smiled, before backing away to let him go. something i hated to do, every time he had to leave.

   i slowly made my way to where deanna and reg stood, also watching the van drive away. i turned once it disappeared in sight, heading away from the two.

   "melanie..." deanna started, causing me to turn back around and face them. "something wrong?" i questioned, watching the women shift uneasily.

   "i just wanted to apologize for aiden." she started, stepping closer to me, "he tends to act on impulse."

   i nodded, "it's okay, things happen." i smiled, crossing my hands over my chest. "just know that if something happens to glenn or the rest of my people because of him or his friend nicolas. i will not hesitate to knock one of them on their ass, maybe even both."

   her eyes widened, looking to reg and then back to me. i didn't let her say anything else as i turned away quickly, heading towards the infirmary.
__________

   this time, i didn't hesitate to open the infirmary door. i waltzed right in, not giving a shit in the world.

   "hello doc, deanna sent me to help. whats my job for today?" i questioned, grabbing a lab coat from a coat rack near the doorway.

   "melanie, good morning." he started, looking at me with irritated eyes, "we're drawing blood, you up for that?" he questioned, handing me a pair of gloves.

   i nodded, taking them from his hand before stepping to a patient. "hey little guy, i'm melanie. do you mind if i clean your arm?" i asked, sending him a smile as i prepped the equipment.

   without hesitation, he pulled his sleeve up, revealing his arm to me. "wow, you're a brave kid" i stated, cleaning his arm.