Thirteen

Maddie had never placed a bet in her life and she sure would never again. She kissed her five galleons away the second she was running off to the infirmary. It was somewhat of a miracle that Madam Pomfrey even let Maddie and Caroline sit by Cedric's side until he woke up. His face was bandaged up and was expected to make a quick recovery.

Just what Maddie had been terrified of the second that his name came out of that cup. The pure terror she felt when that dragon turned back to him and blew a wave of fire, her heart stopped. The two girls rose to their feet and followed Cedric back to the school no matter how many times they were told to stay put.

Here they were sitting in silence by their best friend's side waiting for him to wake up. Not caring about the cheers and yelling coming from outside the building. The girls sat in silence on either side of the boy waiting for him to wake up. Madam Pomfrey growing annoyed that the girls wouldn't leave but she understood so she minded her own business.

Caroline held onto Cedric's hand as Maddie was in her own mind. Overthinking every possibility that could have happened to Cedric. The fear of losing him became so prevalent thought in her mind. Her heart rate had no settled down since she saw the fire burst and her hands were still shaking slightly every time she looked at his bandaged face. They thankfully were not bad burns and they would heal very quickly but none the less they were still there.

"You okay?" Caroline whispered nervous that she would wake Cedric up if she spoke too loud. Maddie nodded her head quickly playing with her cuticles that she was trying not to peel off from the edges of her nails.

"Ms. Burns and Ms. Reeves," their heads shot up seeing Dumbledore walk into the infirmary with Professor McGonagle and Professor Snape. "Thank you for keeping Cedric company." He said coming to the foot of his bed.

"Who won?" Maddie asked quietly.

"Harry and Viktor Krum tied for first, Cedric came in second, and Fleur Delacour came in last." Dumbledore said Caroline squeezed Cedric's hand with a smile as a congratulations.

"You two can return back to your houses." Professor Snape said eyeing the both of them, "now." He said sternly when they didn't move.

They both stood up from their seats and cleared out before Snape could take away points or yell at them. They walked down the corridors in silence getting lost in the crowd from all the other students going back to their houses cheering.

Caroline was too far up for Maddie to try and catch up but she didn't really care. She couldn't even find words to speak only thinking of Cedric. She felt a hand grab onto her and forcefully pull her from the crowd, she yelped.

"What the hell!" She exclaimed looking up at the tall boy that grabbed onto, George peered down on her.

"I'm sorry I just needed you," he said sympathetically, "the Gryffindors are throwing a party I think you should come." He said.

Maddie furrowed her brows confused and slightly annoyed, "excuse me? My best friend was just burned-"

George nodded, "yes I know bad timing on my part but I just wanted to extend the invitation and your friend can come too, get your mind off things?" He offered.

Maddie shrugged, "I don't know George."

"Well I will save a drink for you if you decide to come." He smiled walking away from the girl leaving her there.