7

The footsteps coming towards your cell were different today. You could tell when Tubbo was coming to visit you - his footsteps were only little slaps against the wood flooring, and they were quick and uneven - he was always in a hurry to get where he was going. These footsteps were heavy, and whoever was walking towards you was obviously wearing shoes - you could hear the click of the heel. 

You leaned forward to peer around the corner of the cell as much as you could, only to see a familiar puff of pure white hair. You ducked back, slumping against the wall and crossing your arms petulantly over your chest. 

The last person you wanted to see was Puffy. You would rather have talked to that woman who had stepped on you in the fight and then hauled you from the sea than her. You would have rather pitched yourself out into the ocean, but you were considering that a lot these days-

A tray of food dropped to the floor outside the bars with a clang and you jumped a little at the noise. On it, were a few slices of bread - no fruit. 

Of course not.

You steadfastly stared at the wall in front of you, determined not to give Puffy even the slightest indication that you even cared that she was there - much less whatever she had come down here for. Maybe they had finally determined you were a waste of space and were going to throw you overboard. You would miss Tubbo a little, but that was about it-

"My son's taken a liking to you." Puffy said, grabbing the same stool she had sat on last time and sitting it in front of your cell. She sat down, looking at you intently. 

You deigned no response, simply looking at the worn wood of the walls around you. Puffy grit her teeth, obviously waiting for you to say something, but you stayed silent, quietly reveling in the obvious annoyance in her eyes. 

"I can't imagine why, but he has." Puffy said finally, breaking the silence once she realized you weren't going to respond no matter how long she waited. "If it wasn't for his asking, I wouldn't be down here."

You rolled your eyes at that - obviously.

"If you promise you wont try and jump of the ship or break anything, I'll let you out of the cell."

You broke then, eyes shooting to Puffy, obviously skeptical. "What, really?" There was no way she was actually considering letting you out - it was some sort of trick. You wouldn't be surprised if it was a joke, what with their sick senses of humor. 

Puffy grit her teeth, glancing away from your surprised face for a second and up towards the deck - no doubt which was full of activity. The back and forth of the footsteps above you was at it's peak now in the morning, what with getting the ship ready for a day of sailing. You could see in her face that she hated that she was offering this - but she pressed forward anyway. 

"Yes, really." She said. "Tubbo's been asking."

You felt a rush of affection for Tubbo - sweet little Tubbo. Of course he would be asking his mum why his new friend was stuck in the bottom of the ship. That was probably what that lingering look had been last night.

"If you agree that you're not going to do anything stupid like try and get the map back, I'll let you out." Puffy said. "Of course, I'm going to have someone watching you if you do come up on deck, and if you're going to be up there, you're going to have to work on the ship-"

"I can work on a ship." You said. "I was in the navy for years - I know what it entails." 

Puffy looked back to you. "Oh, I'm sure. That's not the question here."

It was quiet for a moment as you turned your options over in your head - either stay here in the cell, or give in to the ache to move around again and go up on deck with the rest of the people on the ship. Staying here, you could see the rest of your days - wasting away in this cell just passing the time with Tubbo until you either died or were rescued. Up there - you would be helping out on deck; if you were rescued you would be condemned as a traitor. 

You looked back at the little room you were trapped in - the light streaming through the window. It had been a week since you had last been up and about, and maybe if you were helping around the ship, you wouldn't have to sleep on the floor anymore. Even if you were still going to sleep on the floor, just getting out of this cell was something you had been craving - the oppressive walls seemed to be closing in on you, slowly. 

"I'll behave." You said, a slight sneer in your voice. You hated that you were giving in like this, but you needed to feel the ocean spray on your skin again.

Puffy grinned slowly, reaching over for the keyring that was hanging on the wall nearby, twirling it around the tip of her finger so that the keys clanged together. She looked smug, almost - she had been expecting you to give in one way or another. A flush of hot shame made your fingers twitch, but you didn't go back on your decision. 

It would be worth the embarrassment of giving in like this. 

Puffy got up from her stool, sorting through the keys on the ring until she found one, sliding it into the lock that kept the cell closed. It took her a minute to twist it, but when the lock finally gave, the door opened with a loud click and you got to your feet.

Puffy stepped away, the door swung open, and you were free.