2: A Chance Encounter

A/N: This chapter is bit long, close to 3k words and contains references to BrightWin as well.  Please feel free to vote and comment your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks! 💜

>*<*>*<

"Do I really have to attend this party?" Gulf grumbles, adjusting his bow-tie and picking up the new midnight black jacket strewn on the couch in his spacious dressing room.

Mild rolls his eyes, lounging from the comfy turquoise armchair. "Yes, you do. Bright will be super pissed if you ditched his party after going to all the trouble of forcing him to throw it in the first place."

The dusky alpha good-naturedly laughs, remembering the bet that starting this whole mess. "Maybe. But at least it will give him the chance to notice a sincere and lovely omega who's been pining after him since the past four years."

"You really think Bright, the introvert and indifferent alpha to equal, no, even rival you among all our friends when it comes to romance is going to notice that poor Nong Win is completely smitten and head-over-heels for him?" The beta questions with a disbelieving look.

"Hey," Gulf protests. "I'm not indifferent to romance."

"No. You're just allergic to commitment and relationships." Mild raises an eyebrow and shakes his head, making a tutting noise.

"Whatever. Love is a foolish man's fantasy and anybody who believes in a lasting emotional attachment of mate bonds are only deluding themselves. Oh, and before you ask - no one broke my heart, Mild. Can't help it if I'm smarter than you lot."

"Really? So you think me and my boyfriend are what, just messing around till one of us gets bored?"Mild voices raises in clear indication of his indignation hitting the roof.

The 26 year old CEO frowns sharply. "Come on, Mild. You know I didn't mean it like that..."

He tries to pacify the upset beta swiftly. Boat, an easy going alpha that Mild met in a cafeteria during their college freshman year, surprised everyone by sticking around and bewitching their hyperactive friend into a serious long term relationship. In fact, Gulf wouldn't be shocked if these two lovebirds are the first couple to tie the knot in their large circle of equally wealthy friends. Thankfully, the goofy beta isn't the type to hold grudges or stay mad for long. 

Additionally, the shorter guy is also well aware of where the alpha's issues stem from.

In truth, Gulf does believe in the concept of love and happy endings. The alpha just doesn't think he is destined for one though.

Most of his friends know this fact too. Bright, his other best friend also subscribes to the same train of thought. And just like the members in their gang, Gulf cannot help but think Bright is totally wrong. (Though Gulf does not agree when Mild, Singto and others say the same of him.) Which is why, he willingly sabotaged the bet, so Win can demand a wish from him. A wish Gulf guessed from the start and fully gives his blessings for.

"I wouldn't be playing cupid to help N'Win gain Bright's affections if that were the case." He sighs, raking a hand through his short black hair. "Hmm, in any case you are right. Bright will probably leave his own party if I'm not there to make sure he plays the dutiful host. By which, I mean unceremoniously dumping the omega Nong in his company and preventing Bright from completely ignoring the poor kid."

The sudden change of topic helps his situation as Mild enthusiastically discusses different plans to get their friend to notice the not-so-new guy in their circle, something they failed to do since first noticing the 22 year old, tall and fair omega's heart-eyes shining in Bright's direction, pretty much from the start.