Book Club

"Noah?!", Dixie called out from the middle of the library.

Dixie was the leader of the book club. She had been reading since she was a kid and found great enjoyment in it so she decided to share her enjoyment with others and start a book club. That is where she met her three best friends, Amelie, Avani, and Addison. They all shared the joy of reading books and that's what drew them closer together. Today was the start of a new chapter for the book club. Every new semester, the book club would get new books which would open the opportunity for more students to join the club. She didn't know that Noah would happen to be one of those people.

"Oh umm hey dix, wasn't expecting to see you here", Noah said awkwardly scratching the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact. "Yea could say the same for you". Dixie yanked Noah's arm and dragged him out of the library. "What are you doing here?! Don't you have soccer practice or something? It's almost like you're following me at this point", Dixie said to Noah with a bit of anger and annoyance. "Well, I would be at soccer practice if I weren't caught on the soccer field during the first period, and you should be happy to see me. I comforted you when you got your heartbroken." Well I'm not happy to see you. If my friends see me with you, they would question me until I go to my grave, and I appreciate you comforting me, but it was a mistake. I can't be seen with someone like you. We're polar opposites".

Noah was a bit hurt when Dixie said their encounter was an accident. He was falling for her and he said that she basically never meant to meet him. He thought she could've been speaking at the moment but before he could finish that thought, he decided to speak out of anger.

"Whoever said that I would go out with someone like you", Noah said quickly.

Dixie was a bit taken aback by his words. She was starting to like him and he just told her that he didn't want to be seen with her. It was almost as if she was breaking up with someone all over again. She felt like crying, but she couldn't be vulnerable so before Noah noticed the tears streaming down her face, she ran to the restroom.

"Dixie, wait, I didn't mean it like that," Noah said chasing her. "Leave me alone Noah. You don't wanna be seen with someone like me. I'm an embarrassment to you", Dixie said through the locked restroom door, while crying. "Dix, no you're not. I was just hurt by the fact of you saying what happened on the soccer field was a mistake because... Because I want to be friends with you" Noah said through the door sympathetically.

Noah knew he wanted to be more than just friends with Dixie but he knew that it was too soon and it would probably scare her off. When Dixie heard Noah say that, she felt bad because she knew that what happened on the field wasn't a mistake. She actually wished it lasted longer. Dixie thought about what he said and unlocked the door and just stared at it, waiting for Noah to open it. Noah heard the door unlock and reached for the handle and opened the door. He made eye contact with dixie for a few seconds and opened his arms for her to hug him. She was hesitant at first but eventually walked over to him and hugged him back. She felt as if she were melting in Noah's arm.

"Did you honestly mean it?", Dixie muffled into Noah's shoulder.

"Did I mean what", he asked her cluelessly.

"Do you actually want to be friends with me? What will others think of you?"

"I don't care what others think of me, you are the person I want to be friends with, not them, and if they don't like that then oh well", Noah said to Dixie looking in her eyes.

"Then I would love to be your friend, Mr. Beck", Dixie said giggling and blushing while pulling back into a hug.

They hugged for a few minutes until they were interrupted by someone.

"Sorry to interrupt... whatever this is, but book club is starting soon Dixie, I'm sure you don't want to miss the first meeting", Amelie said from the bathroom door frame, staring blankly at them.

"Oh right umm Noah we should get going to the library", Dixie said flustered, and a bit embarrassed.

"Wait- Noah's going to book club?! Doesn't he have some type of soccer practice or something? And how do you two even know each other", Addison asked coming up from behind Amelie.

"Well, I would be at soccer practice but I was caught skipping so I had to join an after-school club and chose book club", Noah said letting go of Dixie and putting his hands in his pocket. (Dixie already let go when she saw Amelie but Noah was in shock so he was frozen in place)

"But that doesn't answer why you two know each other", Amelie said crossing her arms and staring straight ahead at Dixie.

"Calm down Amelie, we bumped into each other in the halls earlier and now we're friends, but enough about this, we need to go to the library before we miss the whole meeting and Noah is permanently in book club", Dixie said pushing everyone into the library avoiding anymore questions.

They all entered the library and the girls sat at a table in an opposite corner from where Noah was sitting, but still in the back. Dixie felt bad that Noah was sitting alone so she decided to invite him to join her at her table with the girls. Dixie started to rise up from her seat and head over to Noah's table until she felt someone grasp her hand.