The Happy Halberd

Taking the shortcut, the group were out of the forest before nightfall, and they were coming close to a village.
"We should probably stop here for the night." Varian looked at Hugo.
"Sounds good. Maybe there'll be an art contest." Hugo grinned and Varian smirked, rolling his eyes. They stopped at the village and the boys climbed down from the front of the caravan. Nuru walked out and Yong ran off quickly.
"Where's he going?" Hugo asked.
"He needs the bathroom." Nuru laughed, awkwardly.
"Right." Varian smiled, "I'm gonna check the store out. Do you wanna come?" Varian smiled at Hugo.
"Actually, I think I'll wait for Yong to come back. Don't want him getting lost, right?"
"Why don't you want to go?" Nuru crossed her arms.
"None of your business, your majesty." Hugo rolled his eyes and Nuru scoffed.
"Do you always have to be so rude?"
"Hah. If you think that was rude, you haven't heard rude."
"I don't know why you always start unnecessary disputes-"
"Me? You're the one who's snooping her big nose into my business."
"You-"
"Let's- not argue!" Varian looked to Nuru then Hugo, raising his voice. He sighed in relief when they both went silent, "You don't have to come if you don't want to; I was just offering."
"It's not that I don't wanna go." The blonde looked aside.
"So, what is it?" Varian asked.
"I," Hugo sighed, "I gotta feed Olivia." He looked at the ground.
"Aw." Varian grinned, "You should've said so."
"Who's Olivia?" Nuru questioned and the mouse appeared on Hugo's shoulder and squeaked.
"The mouse? isn't she mechanical...what does she eat?"
"Why d'you care?" Hugo narrowed his eyes and before Nuru responded, she looked to Varian, then composed herself.
"I'll go to the store with you, Varian." She smiled.
The two left and Hugo watched them go, then heaved a sigh. Olivia squeaked at him and he looked down at her.
"I know you don't need to eat, but I needed some sorta excuse."
The mouse squeaked again.
"I'm gonna find Cyrus and get that totem back." Hugo walked towards the woods again. Olivia ran up the boy's neck and to his ear, squeaking in it.
"Quit it!" He picked her up and placed her back on his shoulder.
She continued to squeak.
"I'll find him! He probably isn't far- and he didn't 'almost kill me'."
Olivia was quiet.
"Ok, maybe he did, but I'll be ready this time."
The mouse crawled up his face and sat on his nose. Hugo heaved a heavy sigh, crossing his eyes to look at Olivia then taking her into his hand,
"Ok, you're right...but..." Hugo hesitated, "Donella sent me on this mission, and she should let me do it my way."
Olivia squeaked again.
"I know, I know..." Hugo looked to the ground and Olivia hugged his finger, which made him smile.
She squeaked questioningly, and he nodded, looking conflicted.

"I can't stand him!" Nuru started and Varian's hooded eyes face the impression he was uninterested.
"Why is he so rude? And why was he being so strange?" She asked Varian, who was examining a bar of soap.
"What makes you think he was being strange?"
"I don't know, it just seemed like he was reluctant to leave- and isn't it weird that his mechanical mouse needs feeding?"
"I dunno, I think he probably just wanted some time alone. I feel like that sometimes." Varian put the soap down and grabbed another, smelling it.
Nuru sighed, "Maybe you're right..."
Just as Varian thought she was finished, Nuru started to complain about Hugo again.

"Hey, Hugo!" Yong ran over to the caravan and both Hugo and Olivia looked to him,
"Where're Varian and Nuru?"
"The store." Hugo told him.
"What- they didn't even wait for me?" Yong pouted, "Are you going to the store too?" He asked. Hugo looked at Olivia then placed her back on his shoulder and nodded.
The two walked to the store and Yong ran inside to talk to Nuru. When Hugo walked in, he watched Varian and sniggered at the boy before walking over.
"Enjoying yourself?" He stood by the boy, hands behind his back. Varian looked at him and placed the soap on the shelf again,
"Oh, yeah." Varian grinned, "I'm having a great time."
"You wanna get a drink? I saw a pub not far from here." Hugo smirked and Varian raised his eyebrow.
"I dunno if kids are allowed in the pub in the evening." Varian looked to Nuru and Yong, then so did Hugo,
"Right. The kids."
"Kid."
"Kid?"
"Yong." Varian seemed confused.
"Yeah- and the princess."
"She's not a kid, Hugo."
"She acts like one." The blonde smirked.
"So do you."
"I'll give you that one, Stripes. But I'm sure the pub'll be fine. We could at least check it out. Might be fun."
"You're such a bad influence." Varian sighed through his smile.