Chapter 22

"That was incredible Violet! You were so intimidating," Chase is beaming with awe. "I mean, you scared the heck out of him and he doesn't scare easily. Where did that come from?"

I blush, embarrassed. The adrenaline that was pumping through my veins is finally fading. "I don't know, I guess something came over me."

"Remind me not to get on your bad side," Nicholas laughs.

We all flinch as the carriage rolls over a bump. All of us are still on edge. Although the fight didn't have any casualties it was still frightening.

"How far are we?" I mumble, realizing how tired I am. Sleeping has been impossible for me, my nights plagued with nightmares.

Chase notices the tired look in my eyes and says "Here, you can use my lap as a pillow. We'll wake you up when it's time." I look warily at him but decide it's too tempting an offer. My neck still hurts from sleeping sitting up yesterday.

I fall into a dreamless sleep, comforted by the low voices of Nicholas and Chase. I don't sleep for very long because I hear my name. I stay still and keep my eyes closed but listen carefully to what they're saying.

"Is everything alright with Violet?" Nicholas asks.

"I don't know, she's been having a hard time lately. I can't blame her," Chase replies. I decide not to go back to sleep so I can hear what they have to say.

"I was worried about taking her to the ocean kingdom, I mean, she's spent most of her life trapped in that house with her crazy mom. I thought she might get hurt, not because she's a girl but because she's never had to fight anyone before. But... I just don't know where that came from."

"That's how I was feeling." Chase agreed. "She must really care about her sister if she's willing to put herself in danger like this. Have you ever met Cinderella?"

"Yeah, at the ball and then again when Violet's mom went crazy and they had to come live with me." Nicholas responded

"Oh, right..." I can feel Chase's embarrassment even though I can't see his face. "So, what's she like?"

"You've never met her? She's very sweet. Not very talkative but nice."

A silence hangs in the air. I have the sense Chase wants to say something but is afraid. "Is she... worth all this?" He finally says it and I understand why he wanted to keep quiet. I almost jump up to yell at him but I resist.

Nicholas takes a long time to answer, formulating the right response. "Violet is worth all this. She would do anything for the people she loves. It just so happens the one person she loves is in danger. I want to support Violet because she deserves a person who will do anything for her."

"She deserves two people. Me and you." I forget my anger and my heart feels full of warmth. I have two amazing friends who are willing to do anything for me. I resist sitting up and hugging them both, I have a feeling they wouldn't like it if they knew I'd been eavesdropping on them. We all sit in silence for a few minutes until the carriage comes to a stop and Chase softly shakes me awake.

I sit up slowly and rub my eyes, playing up how tired I am. "Is it lunchtime now?" I ask in my groggiest voice.

"Yeah, there's an amazing spot to eat, just a little ways into these woods. You're going to love it but it's somewhat of a hike. Is that okay?" Chase asks.

"Sure, I love a good hike and I really love a good picnic spot," I say. I'm in a very good mood after what I overheard.

Chase leads the way with Nicholas right behind. I stay back a little farther, my body has improved a lot when it comes to physical activity but I still get winded easily. I also stare with jealousy at Chase's shoes, not sneakers (because they don't exist in this world) but at least made for comfort. I'm wearing tight slip ons though, luckily not heels.

Finally, after half an hour of hiking, Chase stops. He waits for everyone to catch up then dramatically pushes some branches aside and there it is, the most beautiful landscape I've ever witnessed.

Everyone stops and stares in awe but I walk forward, as if under a spell. Before us sits a beautiful clearing, the soft grass a bright green, dotted with colorful wildflowers. A small brooke sparkles, it's clear water bubbling. Everything seems more vibrant and perfect in this clearing yet the most amazing thing is the majestic creators that graze here.

There are three beautiful white unicorns. Two of them look up as we come into view but the third, smallest one continues to eat peacefully. My body moves on its own as I slowly approach the creatures. As I reach the center of the clearing everyone holds their breath, even the unicorns. The larger two dart gracefully to the edge of the clearing but the last one finally looks up at me and comes slowly towards me. I reach out a hand carefully and pat it's nose. All at once everyone breathes out.

How... how is this possible? There's no way... it can't be possible. This unicorn... IS SO CUTE!

Everyone slowly comes out of the shadows. I pet the unicorn as the guards lay out a picnic blanket and put out the food. We begin eating and talking. It sits right next to me and the two larger ones sit down at the edge of the clearing. They watch us wearily and make sure the little unicorn is safe.

"So, what do you think?" Chase asks after we've all settled down.

"It's incredible. I thought they were just a myth! I'd never think I'd see one, nonetheless be petting one like this," I gush, stroking the unicorn's head.

"I've actually never gotten this close to a unicorn before. They stayed pretty far away from me last time I was here."

"I read that unicorns will only trust those with a pure heart or a lost soul. You must have a pure heart Violet," Nicholas says causing me to give him a tight smile but this comment gets me thinking. I suppose I am a lost soul. Sometimes I forget that I've been reincarnated.

"Do you know anything about unicorns?" I ask, attempting to change the subject.

"Unicorns can be pretty vicious in a fight if they charge at you..." Chase replies.

I look down at the small creature which is trying to sneak a bite of my sandwich without me noticing.

We finish eating but there's still a lot of time before we have to return to the carriage. We play a quick game of tag and the small unicorn join in, prancing around, running away from whoever's 'it'. I begin wandering deeper into the woods, careful to remember my path so I don't get lost.

It's so quiet in these woods. Only the occasional chirp of a bird or rustle of leaves from the wind. Then I hear a calming sound. I begin to walk faster until I come into another clearing.