Chapter 2: "i hate you, i love you"

All alone, I watch you watch her,

Like she's the only girl you've ever seen,

You don't care, you never did,

You don't give a damn about me.

Yeah, all alone, I watch you watch her,

She is the only thing you've ever seen.

How is it you never notice,

That you are slowly killing me?

- i hate u, i love u : gnash ft. olivia o'brien

"Casual and classy, voila."

"Thanks, Echo! You're a lifesaver, honestly

"Thanks, Echo! You're a lifesaver, honestly."

"I know I am," I replied laughing.

I was at Layla's house, helping her choose the "right" outfit for her date with Tyler. I was honestly happy for her, she deserves someone who cares for her not only for her looks but her personality.

Tyler was a great guy, he took care of Layla even when they were just hanging out, he always seemed to take the initiative to make sure she was safe, and I could clearly see that my best friend felt secure in his presence.

"Shit, I'm going to be late, can you help me do my hair, Echo? I really need to fix my makeup."

"Sure. So, do you still not know where exactly casual is?" I asked while braiding her long, thick and curly black hair.

"Nope, Tyler says it's a surprise but I have a feeling we're going to his grandma's restaurant." she says.

"What? His grandma's restaurant? For a date?"

"Yeah, I've actually been to his grandma's restaurant before and there's a really pretty drive in cinema nearby, so I guess we're going there after dinner."

"Awh that's really sweet!"

The doorbell rang, and there he was, "the man of the day."

"Hey, Tyler! Be sure to bring her back by 11pm, okay?" I said, the mom in me kicking in.

"Yup, of course, Echo. See ya!"

And I left seeing the both of them leave in his black Jeep.
As I was walking back home, memories of what happened in the day kept flashing through my mind.
Him holding her, her laughing, and me, well, just silently looking.

When I reached the front of my house, I saw him. Them actually. Levi and my little brother. It was a common occurrence, in fact, for Levi to be at my house, but nevertheless, I would still have the whole damn zoo in my stomach.

"Hey, Echo!" he waved giving me a smile.
I smiled back while closing the gate.

Levi was honestly the most handsome human I've ever seen, he was wearing some old grey worn out shorts with a tight fitted black shirt that showed outlines of his abs, and as much as I didn't want to look away, I had to.

"Echo! Echo! Levi taught me how to box! Look!" my little brother, Evan said while punching the inflatable punching bag Levi brought for him.

"Thanks, y-you didn't have to get it for him just because he asked, you know." I told Levi.

"I bought it because I wanted to, Echo, he's gonna be a great boxer one day." Levi then leaned closer to my ear and said, "At least, that's what he told me his dream was." his brows furrowed.

I laughed a little and replied, "To become a boxer? At the age of 9?"

He laughed and then looked at me for a while, as though he was trying to figure me out, and then finally said, "So, Sierra invited me to her birthday party and I've decided to finally confess that I'm in love with her. Do you think her reaction will be a good one?" he asked.

I looked at him dumbfounded but hid it quickly, trying to decipher what I actually heard, confess? What the hell, confess?

"Erm, yeah it's been so long and you always hide your feelings, well I'll always support you, so yeah just do it." I said, smiling on the outside, breaking on the inside. I was actually really proud that I did not stutter because to be honest, I had no idea what I was saying. Confess? He was going to confess to Sierra, and once again, I would just watch from the sidelines, as always.

"Thanks Echo, I know you'll always be my number one supporter, is it because of these muscles though?" he said, flexing his arms.

I rolled my eyes at him, "Evan, let's go in, say bye to Levi. Goodbye, Levi. Don't let that cocky attitude eat you up before you actually have the chance to confess," I said while sticking my tongue out at him.

"See ya, Echo. Bye Evan, I'll see you soon, my man." Levi said while fist bumping Evan and looked up to smile at me.

As I saw his figure leave the gate of my house, all I could think about was how did he not notice that he was slowly killing me?