38.

June 6, 1994

June 6, 1994

By the end of the 1993-1994 school year there was no day more anticipated than June 6th. Or, more accurately, the annual end of term celebration.

The end of term celebration was a traditional started centuries ago after the first batch of students had suffered through their O.W.Ls and N.E.W.Ts. It was the one night of the year that Argus Filch - and all the caretakers before him - would forgo the archaic policing of the halls, to allow the upperclassmen the freedom to roam from house party to house party.

The parties held in the Gryffindor Common Room could expect no less than three accidental injuries, where a number of students would spend the night in the Hospital Wing. Meanwhile, the parties in the Ravenclaw Common Room had all of the mind altering substances a teenager could dream of, and it was a breeding ground for otherworldly thoughts and ideas to bloom. Not many students were privy to the events that took place in the Slytherin Common Room, as they had strict rules about who was to be included in their celebrations, though it was wildly assumed it involved a lot of snarky comments and wine goblets that were enchanted to refill themselves. The Hufflepuff house, had the most inclusive gatherings, with a room filled with sweets, and a never-ending supply of mood enhancing greenery.

No year were these celebrations more necessary to moral than on this particular year.

The year before the students had thought there couldn't possible be a more dismal year spent in the castle - and then the dementors were welcomed onto the grounds. All year long, a depressive mist loomed throughout the halls, all while the upperclassmen slowly clung to whatever sanity they could muster to get through their exams.

The trauma's from the opening of the Chamber of Secrets were worn by each student like a straight jacket. Despite the small joys they tried to find in their friends, the damage from the previous year remained below the surface. The dementors seemed to do little else than serve as a catalyst to embarrassing outbursts at the most inopportune moments.

On that particular night the tradition had changed slightly. Instead of groups of students drunkenly stumbling from one common room to the other, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Gryffindor had decided to throw one party, in the comfort of the Gryffindor Common Room. It was a congratulations to the Gryffindor Qudditch team for finally taking the cup from Slytherin, as well as an excuse not to wander the halls where the Dementor's power was felt.

On that night, in the velvet darkness of the night the monochrome musings of the full moon shone in eternal stoic grace, casting shadows from the Forbidden Forest onto the castle grounds. The leaves flickered like candlelights in the lunar beams, creating a new picture from moment to moment. The shadows of the trees danced along the petrified castle walls to a silent melody.

As the moon graced the landscape to its fullest glory, a mournful howl, carried by the wind, reverberated off the castle walls.

The cluster of students who had gathered in the Gryffindor common room froze as the animalistic cry crashed in through the opened window.