Chapter 30

Sorry for the long wait guys! I had to actually look references for this chapter because it wasn't just purely me, so thank you for your patience on this long over due chapter! Thank you!

-------------------------------------------

The third and final task was finally upon them and Hayden had no idea how to prepare. They weren't even planning on even hinting to those competing in the task what may be in store. Honestly, he wouldn't be surprised if they were purposefully trying to keep Hayden in the dark somehow while all the other champions knew and were preparing accordingly.

Hayden was stressed. How could he not be?

He hated to admit it, but he barely survived the last two tasks and there seemed to be a trend of the next ones being harder than the last.

He went to bed the night before the third task in a horrible mood.

"Draco?"

"Yes, love?"

Hayden turned over to face his lover, his eyebrows furrowed as he thought about the next upcoming day.

"Promise you won't leave me again like last time?"

Draco was not expecting Hayden to say that.

Wait, what did he mean when he asked him not to leave again? When did Draco ever leave Hayden?

Could he have been talking about their falling out after the first task? But, they made up for that, they had talked through and promised never to make assumptions without hearing the whole story first, so what could Hayden be talking abo- ... oh.

Hayden was talking about the last tournament. When Draco had been taken away right before he had to compete and was forcibly spelled and put in a less than ideal situation. A situation that almost killed Hayden.

"I will never leave you again, that I can promise and I never break a promise" Draco whispered in reassurance, leaning over to gently kiss Hayden's forehead. The tension Hayden had been feeling the last couple days started to slowly drain away at Draco's comment. It was reassuring, that he could count on the person he loved to be next to him and to always come back to him.

Hayden fell asleep that night in the arms of his mate. For now, he could put the impending anxiety the last trial is sure to cause and has already been causing off for when the task actually starts.

Right now, he was safe and he was loved.

---

Hayden involuntarily winced at the almost deafening sound of the crowd made up of the entirety of Hogwarts and the classes from both Durmstrang and Beuxbatons.

Hayden was the fourth person in the lineup to come out of the waiting area the champions were placed. He was only slightly irked that he was placed last but in the end he could really care less.

When he finally stepped onto the small field in front of a maze(?), the cheers and the gaudy music only seemed to have gotten louder. Hayden did his best to completely ignore everyone, mainly for his own peace of mind but also because he just wanted to get this thing over with and cuddle with Draco.

After a couple minutes that seemed like a couple of hours of the other three champions waving and goading the crowd on, Dumbledore finally stepped onto the strangely placed podium in the middle of the small field.

"SONORUS" the headmaster spelled, making his old voice ring out above the crowd. At least he knew the counterfeit he made the geezer worked convincingly.