GAME NIGHT

S T E V I E  P O V

It's game night with the guys, and the next-door neighbours always join to make it fun. Them against us, and tonight it's about movies, which the guys always win. 

Unfortunately, I've landed a job, so I'm doing the night shift and won't be able to attend. I'm making a sad face thinking about missing out on game night.

Haven't heard from Mr Davenport since our dinner date over two weeks ago. To be honest, I'm simply relieved he's stayed away from me after the disaster I caused and the way I embarrassed myself. 

Honestly, I couldn't blame him for wanting to be far away from me as possible with the mess I caused, and not to forget the humiliation.

I'm ready to leave when the neighbours show up just as I exit the door, "Stevie, are you not participating in the game tonight?" Dessie asks. "Nope, I'm off to work," I reply, and step out the door to walk along the path.

Strolled along the path, minding my own business, but have a feeling someone is following me, hate it when you get an eerily feeling. 

Peer over my shoulder to see a guy dart into a gateway shake my head and make my way to work.

*** 

Arrive in the warehouse where I clock in and get to work stacking the shelves for when the supermarket opens in the morning. 

I'm in the tin aisle stacking soups and pulses while thinking about visiting my parents shake my head to such a bad idea.

Haven't seen them in a while, it would be nice to return home for a couple of weeks, but even my parents find me too much. 

Take a deep breath and let it out loud, just as one other worker knocks into me, losing my balance and into the tins. 

Glanced around hoping the floor manager didn't notice what happened, and quickly re-stacked the cans before anyone noticed. 

Most of the night was boring until it's our break time, and we pushed each other around on the trolleys to have fun. 

Clocked out when I finished and made my way home in the early hours wanting my bed. It's dark with no streetlights and no one around at this time of night. 

Reached the door to hear the guys shouting over each other, still having game night. Entered the lounge to observe everyone guessing what movie Dessie is doing. 

Shaw glances at me, "Stevie, we are winning this one." He tells me as he high fives Ben, one of the guys who live here. 

Take a seat, slip my shoes off, and curl my legs under me to watch them continue playing. "Eve, we need more booze," Ben said holding his money in the air for me. 

Slip my shoes on, grab the keys, and leave for the corner shop that's open twenty-four hours.

*** 

Reach the shop, grab everything they wanted and extra booze. Before placing the bits on the cashier's desk, the newspaper caught my eye. 

Picked it up and paid for all the bits, throwing it on the back seat of the car and glancing at the paper. 

On the front-page is a picture of Dominic Davenport with headlines 'Who's the mystery girl?' Having a proper look at the pic knowing it was too good to be true, plus I've not heard from him in two weeks. 

Placed the paper on the passenger seat, not taking my eyes from the pic. Should send back the jewellery set he gifted and his phone, which still happens to be in the box.