I thought we were family

A/N- This one is gonna be hard to write. Also I've gotta be awake in 4 hours and tomorrow (the day after you read this) is gonna be traumatic to say the least. Oh well.

-Third Person P

-Third Person P.O.V-

Peter smiled brightly as he grabbed a hold of Harley's hand, dragging him towards the towers entrance.

"Come on Harley, they're like my second family, I want you to meet them. I know you've already met Tony, but please," Peter pleaded, making Harley smile a little.

"Okay, okay I'm coming, calm down," Harley laughed looking at his boyfriend who looked like an excited puppy.

Peter beamed at Harley before pulling him into the elevator.

"FRI, can you take us to the common rooms," Peter voices.

'Of course Peter,' FRIDAY replies, startling Harley slightly. He knew of the AI, yet it was still unexpected.

They stood in a comfortable silence, their hands still together with Peter absently swinging them back and forth.

The doors opened to the room and Peter frowned slightly looking at the sight in front of him. A boy, maybe a year or two older then him was sat on the sofa with the others around him; Tony directly behind him.

"Um, hi," Peter speaks, making everyone turn to him.

Tony is the first to speak, "oh hey Pete. I didn't expect you over today."

Peter falters slightly and says, "but it's- it's Tuesday. Lab day."

Tony frowns before remembering it is Tuesday, "oh yeah. Sorry kid, been a bit preoccupied."

Harley can sense Peter's discomfort and holds his hand a little tighter, his thumb lightly tracing over Peter's skin, a little reminder that he's still there and isn't going anywhere.

"With um- with what?" Peter asks, nervously scanning his eyes over everyone.

The boy beside Tony looks bored, Peter notices and it puts him on edge.

"Well, I got another personal intern. His names Carter. I'd say he's as good as you Pete," Tony notes, a smile on his eyes as he looks at Peter, his smile shifting when he sees Harley. "Harley, what're you doing here?" He asks.

Harley looked at Peter and allowed him to answer, "I- I brought Harley because I wanted him to meet you guys, he's my- he's my boyfriend."

Tony smiles while looking at the two of them, "that's great guys. Why don't you come over and get used to Carter, I'm sure he'll be here a lot."
Peter tries to hold back the flinch, the others all sent him smiles, but he could see they didn't really care and were more interested in this Carter.

Why- why didn't they care. They were- they were his family, they were all he had and his Aunt May. Why didn't they care.

Slowly Peter approaches them all, his hand still firmly in Harleys grasp. He begins to talk to Carter, although he can see the arrogance lacing his eyes as he looked at Peter as though he was the dirt under his shoe.

And yet- and yet Tony was looking at Carter with so much pride. Not even sparing a glance at the one he calls son.

-

A week passed and whenever Peter went to the tower Carter was there. Apparently he stayed most nights.

Not that any of the avengers cared, they had all taken him in under their wing. Like he was one of their own.

And Tony- well Tony started spending more and more time with Carter; forgetting about the promise he had made to Peter two years ago.

'Kiddo, listen to me, you'll always be my number one. I'll always have time for you, I promise.'

And yet, when Peter went to him after a rough patrol, Tony said he was busy with Carter and that it couldn't have been that harsh.
But that patrol, Peter couldn't save someone. On that patrol he was too late.

But Harley was beside him the whole time, making sure he kept going, even when he didn't want to.

-

Another week and Peter felt as though they had forgotten him. Like he was no one.

So he stopped going to the tower. He stopped calling Tony or anyone at the tower.

No one noticed for a while, not until Tony started to get annoyed with Carter. It was like- it was like the kid was fake. Sure, he was smart, but it didn't feel right.
Because he wasn't Peter, Tony realised with a startling thought.

But Peter was gone, he hadn't been at the tower for nearly a month, and Tony had pushed him away, not thinking much of it. After all, he would be okay.

But he wouldn't. No, how could he. He didn't have a big family, and God, he looked to them as a family.

And they- they let him down.

But Peter wasn't there anymore, he moved on. He still has his family, he was 17 and Harley was 18, so they moved into an apartment together, letting his aunt have more freedom.

He missed his family, but he was growing to be with Harley, learning that he didnt need many. He had all the people he needed.

-

All the avengers went to Spiderman as he sat on a roof.

"Peter, kid. Please I'm so sorry, I know how stupid I was. I just- I just didn't think," Tony begs as he steps out of his suit.

Peter stands and turns around, taking his mask off so everyone can see the tears shining in his eyes.

Shaking his head he says "it's fine Tony. Really, I've got all the family I need now, but I forgive you. I know you didn't mean any harm."
Tony frowns deeply, knowing how much he messed up.

"Please Kiddo, come home," Tony whispers, looking close to broken.

A tear falls down Peter's face as he shakes his head aggressively. "No Tony, I have a home. And it's not with you anymore. But this- this hurts, because you were all a family to me. And Tony- Tony you were like a  dad to me, and that hurt the most."

Before anyone can say anything Peter is pulling on his mask and heading home. As soon as he gets in he collapses into Harley's arms.

"I've got you, Darlin' it's okay," Harley soothes softly.

"I did it Harls, I did it."

-

-

-

A/N- This is the first one shot I've written in a while that's made me cry. I hope you liked it, it broke my heart writing this.

- M xx