Chapter 5: Escaping the Flock

HICCUPS POV.

Hiccup and Toothless weaved quickly in and out of sea stacks trying to loose the cloud of dragons that were close behind. Rapid bursts of hot fire would soar past them repeatedly as the cloud tried to bring them down. "Just a little longer Toothless just hang in there." They had been flying for about an hour know and the sun had almost completely rose over the horizon.

The dragon gave a short and deep roar back to show how annoyed he was. "You can be annoyed later bud, right know we have to keep moving." He said as a scorching blast of magnesium flew past his head. "Head for those islands over there!" He said pointing at a chain of three islands that were quickly growing larger as they neared.

They were far ahead from the dragon cloud so it gave them a moment to survey the largest island out of the three. "What do you think we should do bud?" He asked glancing back at the cloud that was approaching fast. Toothless directed with his head to a cave entrance near the waterline. Four Natter spines flew past them. "Yeah that looks like a good a place as any."

The two dove down and waited out front of the tunnel for the dragons to get closer. "We just need to draw them in bud." He said as they had to start evading dragon blasts as they drew closer. "Not yet, not yet... know!" The two dove into the cave entrance  as the flock of dragons was almost on top of them.

The sound of dozens of pairs of wings filled the dark cave. Hiccup had to rely solely on Toothless because he was unable to see. "Where is it, where is it!" Hiccup complained as the fight drew on and they had still not found an exit.

"There it is!" He exclaimed as a bright hole of light appeared in front of them. The two burst out of the hole and Toothless spun around and blasted the top of the entrance filling the exit with rocks. "Good shot bud!" He gave his friend a pat on the head.

Hiccup landed Toothless in a small clearing next to a stream that came from a mountain. Hiccup dismounted and walked to the side of the stream. "We can rest here, it will take a while for those dragons to backtrack out of the cave." Toothless walked over to the stream and began to drink his fill.

Hiccups eyes scanned the tree line, the dragons should still be in the cave but he wanted to be prepared if any showed up. A cool breeze blew through the bushes from his right. "I'll be right back." He told Toothless walking towards the origin of the breeze.

He parted a bush and it exposed a large cave opening. A giant gush of air was constantly coming from it. A faint glow grew brighter and brighter. "Toothless!" He yelled and jumped away from the cave opening as a large burst of fire exploded from the hole.

A burning Monstrous Nightmare crawled out of the whole disintegrating the bushes on contact. It's eyes were locked on Hiccup. It let out a fearsome roar shot fire at him. Hiccup rolled out of the way as the fire burned away the grass that was just below him. The Monstrous Nightmare backed him up against a rock and opened its mouth.

Hiccup could see the flames illuminate the back of its throat as it prepared to fire. Then it closed its mouth. It turned back to the cave and roared into it and then flew off. At this moment Toothless showed up. The dragon got into a defensive position over Hiccup and growled aggressively.

All the dragons began to emerge from the hole, all paying Hiccup and the growling Toothless no mind. What was happening? They all began to fly off in the same direction but not in the direction of there nest. After about five minutes after the final dragon had flew away Toothless got off of Hiccup.

Hiccup mounted Toothless and they flew up into the air. The dragon flock was completely gone from view. "Why would they go in that directing? There nest is behind us." He sat there silently for a moment . "Is there anything in the direction bud?" He asked but he didn't need to wait for his friends to answer. "Berk!"

(Authors Note)
Hello to all my readers, I just want to clear up that when the dragons pupils go into slits and there faces get expressionless and they get overly hostile that's then being controlled by the Red Death. Just wanted to clear that up.-Samuel Scutter