20: Christmas

"They're quite infatuated with each other, no?"

          Many would be surprised to know that most wizards are just as traditional as muggles are, especially on Christmas

Many would be surprised to know that most wizards are just as traditional as muggles are, especially on Christmas. There were stockings hung by the hearth of the fireplace, spiced cookies, and presents upon the tree. The usual grim and uninviting place was filled with bright decorations across the hall, the scent of turkey and roast parsnips invading the room. Molly had outdone herself this year, but with the help of Sirius.

Despite all the knickknacks and tinsel that spread across the house, merry and high-spirits were the last thing that filled Grimmauld Place. It wasn't long ago when Arthur Weasley had a close encounter with death. This had taken its toll on all of them, not just the Weasleys.

Guinevere smiled as her eyes followed the bright decorations that hung all over the place. Christmas back at home —if you could call it home anyway— was nothing like this. There weren't any stockings, cookies, and gifts presented in their home. Her parents had always been keen on skipping these as it was deemed as 'muggle traditions' by them. They would usually settle for a feast, the memory of the fake smiles they would mask during Christmas sent a shiver down her spine. As though they chose to ignore the vacant seat beside her.

Everything was different yet so similar. Solely because this was her first Christmas without them, without Grant. Her mind trailed to the thought of her brother having to spend the holidays alone. And at that moment, she could feel how much of a coward she is.

She chuckled bitterly, only she could manage to make such miserable ministrations even when surrounded with ornaments. Maybe because it reminded her of how lonely her life has been, the absence of her brother was definitely not doing wonders. Counter-intuitively, perhaps people become more alive and unique with the help of the people they love. And that's where Father Christmas would come helpful. In their case, Molly and Sirius.

"Come on, come on now!" called Molly, right from the other side of the hall.

The room was packed with small smiles and a cheery Molly who was motioning everyone in. It looks like they were complete in attendance, missing only Moody and Kingsley. Squeezing in between Charlie and Amelia, who had Tonks on her right side.

"You're back," she smiled to him, nudging him with her elbows.

"Back, I am." he answered, nudging her playfully in return. Charlie passed her a plate while chuckling, offering her some turkey.

Arthur sat at the far end of the table. Shrugging and smiling widely at everyone, although most looked at him with empathy and refused to move when beside him. The vicious attack that had happened only weeks ago took its toll, surprisingly, most on Harry.

"To Molly!" said Sirius, raising a glass and emitting a blush from the older woman. Everyone mimicked his actions and raised their glass, scattered voices of 'to Molly' filled the atmosphere. "And to me of course, I helped out you know!"

As everyone that sat in the table they helped themselves to the food presented in front of them, Guinevere noticed the sandy haired man who sat beside Sirius. He looked sick and tired, a few cuts spread across his arm. He'd been gone for the past few days, which wasn't new to Guinevere. Especially if she didn't mind. Although it made her curious —how he's always gone for a few days every month— she didn't want to bother.

Everyone engaged in light hearted conversations, eating and smiling occasionally. Grimmauld place was filled with warmth and joyous laughter, and Guinevere has never seen Sirius so happy like he was now.

Amelia and Tonks were chatting merrily, both seemed to be oblivious to everything happening around them. Guinevere caught Amelia's eye, giving her a knowing look. Amelia blushed before sending her a subtle wink back.

"They're quite infatuated with each other, no?" Sirius piped up, sipping a glass of firewhiskey. Guinevere chuckled, nodding.

Nothing much happened after, the chatter continued and soon, dinner was finished. They were all feeling warm and felt as if they could no longer eat another serving. Clearing the table of all the plates with a flick of her wand, telling everyone to stay put.

"Now, time for the presents!" Molly exclaimed, clapping her hands together. She bounded out of the room, humming cheerily.

She eventually came back with her wand raised, a chain of parcels trailing behind her. Each was wrapped in colorful wrapping paper, and Guinevere could feel herself turn a bit giddy at the sight. After all, things like this never happened in her old home.

"Outdone yourself tonight, didn't ya mum?" George cheered as they watched Molly set the gifts down.

"Couldn't have done all this without Sirius of course!"

Molly started handing out the parcels, reading off the names to whom it was addressed to. When Guinevere heard her name, she perked up, smiling giddily. Perhaps she imagined it, but she thought she heard Remus let out a chuckle at her actions.

Molly eventually finished handing out the parcels, signalling that they could now open them. Guinevere eagerly unwrapped hers, feeling a lump of cloth underneath her fingertips. She pulled the rest of it out, and saw that it was a thick knitted jumper, embedded with the letter R. She stared at it, a confused look on her face.

"I think there's been a mistake," Remus said, as he carefully pulled out the sweater and showed them what it said. His face mirrored Guinevere's.

"Mine says R." she said quietly.

Sirius snorted and exchanged looks with the Tonks and Amelia, who were both grinning. Guinevere noticed this, and gave them a suspicious look. When they refused to meet her gaze, she scoffed.

"Must've switched up the name tags, honest mistake." Sirius shrugged, a boyish grin plastered on his face. "Just swap, no biggie. Right Moony?"

"Of course." He said through gritted teeth.

Remus rolled his eyes, holding the jumper out to Guinevere. The witch awkwardly reached out to take it, fingertips brushing against his in the process. She tried to ignore the strange feeling when this occurred, giving him his jumper in return.

The rest of the people inside the room, seemed to be oblivious to the tension filling it. It seemed as if no one noticed the smirks plastered on Sirius, Tonks, and Amelia's faces and the glares the other pair shot.

- to be continued -