04

"Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in

"Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."

"We should be prepared enough to approach the ship in a few days time," A grin lit up Alana's face as she spoke, her words floating in the sea like a song.

Alana had a way with words like that.

I nodded my head in acceptance before swimming away with Illia and Nixie behind me.

Illia caught up to me and rested her hand on my shoulder, "Can you show us the ship?"

I nodded and started swimming quickly north. In the end, it took us under an hour to find it.

I frowned as the water rushed past me, pushed by the ship. Nixie drifted next to me, "What's wrong?"

I let the frown dissipate, leaving a short silence. "The vessel was not moving in this direction the other day." I swam a foot away before shutting my eyes and focusing on the current. "It was moving laterally to the current."

"What made them change course."

I blinked up and spun around. I trailed the ship with my eyes without looking, my brain filled with the look the man on the boat gave me.

Could he have seen me? But, there's no way he saw the direction I went.

He left before I did.

"I wish I knew." I finally answered. "But it doesn't matter which way the sail, the only thing that matters is getting rid of them."

The faster the mysterious man was permanently gone, the better.

I hated being invested in humans.

"Would it be okay with you two if I went up to the surface for a better look?" Illia gave a mischievous smile.

"What are you up to?"

Illia shrugged before slowly making her way up before searching for a suitable rock to perch on.

I followed her to the top. Her tail dissapeared as she lifted it put of the water; it wasn't until I lifted my head above the surface that I saw she retracted her tail, leaving lanky legs in its wake.

I scoffed, "Why would you want those?" I gestured aimlessly toward her.

The corners of her mouth lifted forming an innocent smile, "I like them."

I rolled my eyes before sliding up next to her. Shortly thereafter Nixie joined us, also opting to keep her tail.

We watched as the ship sailed past us, Illia pulled her legs up, pressing them into her chest. "What do you think it's like? To sail a boat?"

"Does it matter?" I asked absentmindedly as is stared at the deck...

Nixie leaned forward, flickering her gaze between me and the boat, "What are you looking for?"

I blinked a few times, making my dry eyes water, before making eye contact with her, "Me? I'm not looking for anything." I looked back at the boat.

The boat left frothy water in its wake as it got out of close proximity. I slid off the rock back into the water.

Feeling the water rushing around me reassured me. Grounded me. I gave myself a moment for my skin to adjust to the slightly cooler temperature of the water before I started following the ship.

•••

A/N: I am incapable of writing long chapters apparently lol.

What do you think so far??

I promise as I continue writing the chapters will get better as I get a better feel for them!

Sorry updates have been sporadic at best, I just got a puppy! She's a lot of work lol.