Chapter 6

"Dad, we talked about this," I say while groaning

My father yelled, "Val, how often must I remind you?"

Regardless of the circumstances, my father always managed to bring up my mother.

The moment I stepped into the room a few minutes ago, my father repeatedly called out my mother's name. It pains me to see him so upset because of how much he misses my mother. The past 9 years have gone by so quickly since his mom left us. I tell him every time what a terrible person my mother was, but each time he seems to agree with her. How? How is that possible when she left him? Hurt him?

"I think you should leave," he says. I could tell he was trying to avoid my gaze.

"What?" I stare at him in silence for a couple of seconds. Did he really just ask me to leave?

"I'm tired, Valentina..." my heart ached as those words left his lips. My own father didn't want to see me.

"Dad..."

I felt my father grab my arm as soon as I got up. Even though he didn't bother to look at me, tears filled my eyes.

"Valentina, I-I just can't help it,"

Standing beside his hospital bed, I look at him, wishing things could be back to normal when he always had a smile on his face.

"Val, you remind me so much of your mother. Seeing you only bring back memories," he confesses. I couldn't hold back my tears any longer, they kept falling as my mother comes to mind.

I was not a cheater like my mother. I am anything but her. She packed up her bags and moved on. It was that easy for her to leave us for some wealthy Italian businessman.

"I've got to get to work." I give him a kiss on the forehead then quickly left his room. I need some time alone.

I was about to walk through the hospital doors when someone called,

"Valentina!"

Doctor Carter has been my father's doctor for as long as I can remember. I turn around to see him walking towards me. "I apologize if you're in a hurry, but there's something I'd like to discuss," he says. I smile and greet him "Yes of course, Dr. Carter."

"Would you like to talk in my office?" he ask. Standing awkwardly in the hall I replied, "No, I actually have to get ready for work soon, is that okay?". I couldn't help but feel nervous. Every time he wanted to talk about 'matters' it always ends up being bad news.

He glance at me before giving me an apologetic smile. "It's about your father's health. As you know, we've been treating him for quite some time. Unfortunately, his tumors seem to be spreading rapidly," he states.

I sigh, "I thought the chemotherapy was doing him well..."

"A number of the cells that were not killed by chemotherapy later became resistant to the drug. Once they multiplied, there may have been more resistant cells than cells that were sensitive to chemotherapy," he explains.

I thought everything was fine, he was doing so good.

"I also wanted to talk about something else,"

Instantly I knew his topic of discussion was the cost of my father's treatment.

"I know what you're going through Valentina...and the hospital bills are quickly piling up,"

I shook my head "Don't worry, I got a new job. I'll be fine Dr. Carter, I just ask for you to help my father,"

I wish mom was here. As much as I hate her, I just can't do this alone. I've been alone for so long, I feel like I've reached the end.

"Valentina, you're a strong girl. Your dad must be so proud of you, I know I would if you were my daughter. Stay strong for your father, alright?" he gives me reassuring a smile.

"Thank you, Dr. Carter," I return the smile. Dr. Carter turned around and left, leaving me alone. A sigh escapes my lips as I make my way to work. Traffic on the streets of New York is no joke.

__________________________

HEY GUYS, I just wanted to thank you for reading!!

PLEASEEE comment your thoughts about the story, even if they're brutally honest. I wanna know if you guys are enjoying the story!! Thank you so much, ILY <333