Chapter 24

For the rest of the evening, Celeste thrives in the social scene while Clarissa follows her around, rarely involving herself in her sister's conversations. She doesn't speak to Daniel or George again, although she finds herself looking for them from time to time. When she does spot them in the crowd, Daniel always has his handsome poker face in place while George effortlessly charms their audience. It is amusing for her to see such dangerous and damaged souls effortlessly mingling with rich and powerful. 

Clarissa's known French heritage would normally mean that no men ask her to dance without being her friend or familiar, however, tonight that is different, and she finds herself being dragged onto the dance floor frequently by wealthy and titled men. After the fifth man releases her back to Celeste she is forced to admit that her beautiful red dress is the cause of the attention. In the sea of pastel and floral colours, she is a blood-red rose. Clarissa is ready to leave around midnight but Celeste ignores her hints and she has to suffer through another hour of pleasantries and smile.

 Around 1 am the two sisters leave Stirwell Manor. Celeste can't stop talking about the night all the way back to town and Clarissa is glad when she declines her sister's invitation to stay at her house and requests for the driver to drop her off on Savoy Street. She waves goodbye to Celeste, promising to visit her and the boys soon and then heads to The One-Eyed Duke. 

"You're getting married?" Florence repeats, perching on the corner of the desk. Clarissa wasn't surprised to see all her friends in the pub and she quickly gathered them in the tiny office. As she finishes explaining the night's events, Peter sinks down into his chair and Chuck folds his arm folded, brooding. She leans against the door, watching their expressions carefully, biting her lip. She thought it was critical to tell them now, but their cold reactions make her wish she had waited until the morning. 

"To Daniel Cavendish?" Iwan squeaks from his chair, "He's a very dangerous man."

Clarissa has to agree but she doesn't respond, her attention is on a strangely silent Peter. He's the one she needs to convince. Everyone else will fall in line if he does, but he has remained lip-locked through her entire explanation and presently stares, unseeing,  at the blank wood of his desk. She had predicted him to shout and put his foot down, not to be calm and reserved. 

"It's more of a contract, than a marriage." She tries to reason, "I won't really be his wife, but this arrangement will ensure that Baines and Lestrade are defeated. Together, we will make them rue the day they ever thought it was acceptable to challenge us."

"But what about The Strand? The people? Do we become part of them or do they..." Florence tails off, losing the thread of her question mid-sentence.

"The Strand will remain under my control as he will still command The City and Whitechapel," Clarissa says, sounding more confident than she feels. She was sure she had made the correct choice at the ball, but her friend's doubtful and suspicious faces are making her certainty waver. 

"What motivation does he have for keeping you alive?" Chuck asks. 

"He knows that he can't defeat Lestrade and Baines without my help so if he kills me he will be dooming himself," She pauses, not having thought beyond the immediate future, "After that point....it becomes trickier, I am going to have to find a way to secure my life, but I have time for that," 

She is greeted with a nervous silence and she sighs, "I am going to Cavendish's house today, to orchestrate the details. I need to take two of you with me if you'll come."

"I am coming." Peter finally breaks his silence, looking up at her. 

"No." Clarissa says firmly, "You aren't."