Chapter 25

It's a 20-minute journey to Lygon Place yet every minute feels like a lifetime to Clarissa. She watches out the window as the nearer they get to their destination, the more grand and affluent the neighbourhood becomes. Each house has more windows and larger doors than the next. This area is known as Belgravia, it is where the rich of the rich live and socialise, away from the riff-raff of the centre of London. Clarissa has never had a need to walk the polished streets so this beautiful place is completely new to her. The carriage begins to draw to a halt and the group share nervous looks, ceasing their bickering to case their surroundings. 

The driver opens the door, letting them out onto the street. Clarissa is the last to emerge and as she sets a foot onto the pavement her breath is stolen from her. On the other hand, her friends look widely unimpressed at the street they are standing on. They stare at the row of six terrace houses, each with five floors and gorgeous open windows framed by black curtains. Two tall oak trees offer a shed of privacy from the street with their wide branches obscuring the face of the house. This particular row is around 80 meters long and the red brick and white marble stand out against its neighbouring houses, making them appear neglected and cheap. The grand building is protected by a tall railing that lines the street with only one gate as the access point to a cobbled drive. 

"It's smaller than I thought it would be," Iwan says, "Which house is his?" 

"No, it's all one house," Clarissa grits out, beginning to feel slightly out of her depths. 

"What?" Florence gasps, looking up and down the single house that stretches an entire street. Even Chuck pales, his mouth open. 

"It's one house, for one man." Clarissa clenches her fists and releases them, trying to ease her racing heart. It is ridiculous that one man lives in a house that is big enough for six individual buildings, but then the rich are ridiculous when it comes to their homes. Her mother would demand a house like this if she thought Silas would pay for one, it is the kind of ostentatious symbol that people with money relish. 

She turns to the driver who is also admiring the house, "Make sure he stays in the carriage," She instructs nodding at Iwan, "He's clever so don't take your eyes off him." 

The driver nods and ushers Iwan back into the vehicle. Clarissa turns back to the intimidating house and forces herself to walk the few paces to the gate. She stops in front of the black bars and peers through. The trees are planted on either side of the gates and the main front door is directly opposite. It's a black shiny door with a gold lion and rose knocker that gleams in the early morning sun.

"We should go in." Chuck grunts, joining her side and pushing the gate open with one hand. She regards the towering mansion for a final time, and then hesitantly steps onto Cavendish's property.  Behind them, the gate closes with a clang, but Clarissa refuses to show her fear despite her adrenaline pumping furiously.

The cobblestones last for about 15 meters and then she is standing at the bottom of the steps to the front door. She hops up the steps and focuses on the knocker with determination although her hands do not move to touch it. Once she walks through this door there is no going back regardless of whether it is a trap or not. She eyes the lion with a rose in its mouth and it seems to watch her back, daring her. 

She doesn't know how long she has her staring match but then Chuck leans past her left shoulder and ignoring the knocker, bangs his fist loudly on the shiny wood. She gives him a grateful smile which he returns as he steps back onto the bottom step by Florence. They only have to wait a few moments before the door opens and a butler stands there. He bows his head and shows no confusion at their odd party. 

"Miss Lenoir, you are right on time." He addresses her politely, "My master is expecting you in his study." His eyes rave over her companions, "You and your...friends may go right up."