XLVIII. WHERE LOYALTIES LIE

WHERE LOYALTIES LIE!

MARCH 1977

6th Year

• • • •

Holland played with her fingers as she walked the the corridors, on her way to The Great Hall for lunch, when a hand grabbed her elbow, making the dark-haired girl turn around, looking warily at the person in front of her.

"Hi." Bronwyn breathed out, retracting her hand once she saw how Holland was looking at her.

"Hi," The older girl muttered, looking around at the few loitering students on the hallway, "Are you sure that you should be seen talking to me?"

"Holland, I-"

"You what?" She cut her old friend off, "You haven't talked to me in nearly a month. What could you possible have to say now?"

Bronwyn licked her lips before talking, "I was never given a chance to speak that night," She said, "And I just need to tell you that I don't like who Max has become. You're right. Ever since she started dating Rosier, she's become a completely different person. Not the girl I knew. And I really don't like it. But that's not the most important thing that I need to tell you."

Holland raised an eyebrow, "Oh?"

"You were there for me when no one else was. As you have been ever since I met you. Our first day, you talked to me because you saw that I was lonely and invited me to share a dorm with you. You can read me better than anyone, better than Max has ever been able to. You know when I'm down, and you know exactly how to cheer me up," Bronwyn told her, tearing up slightly, "And now I'm going to be here for you. Because I couldn't care less who you're friends with. And I also don't care that you're dating Lupin. In fact, I'm really happy for the both of you. Especially because I know you're the happiest that you've been in a long time.

Holland grinned, tears pricking her own eyes, "Really."

"Yeah," Bronwyn nodded, "I mean, I remember that three years ago, I told you that you deserve someone as incredible as you are. And that's Lupin. And if you'll have me, I'd like for us to be friends again."

Holland smiled at her friend, "Who said we ever stopped?"

Bronwyn beamed, as the two girls pulled each other into a tight, meaningful hug.

"Do you want to sit with us at lunch?" The Irish girl asked into the brunette's shoulder.

"I'd love to."

***

Holland grinned widely, walking up to the Gryffindor table, an anxious looking Bronwyn following behind her.

"Guys," The dark-eyed girl said, making them turn to her, looking at Bronwyn in curiosity, "This is Bronwyn. Make her feel unwelcome and I won't be happy." She told them, trying to keep a serious face, but failing, making her and her friends chuckle.

"Here." Margaret said, moving along the bench to give the girl a space to sit.

"Thanks." Bronwyn smiled, sitting next to the blonde, starting a conversation with her.

Holland smiled softly as she looked at the pair meeting, before turning to her boyfriend, hugging him from behind.

"How's your birthday going so far?" She asked him, nuzzling into his neck.

"Great," He nodded, "Better now that you're here," He said, making his girlfriend blush and smile as she sat down next to him on the bench, "I see you and Bronwyn are good."

The girl nodded, "She's a great friend."

Remus smiled, hugging her into his side, "I'm glad." He told her, as they started putting food on their plates.

James then rushed up to the group, sitting across from the couple, "So, did you do the spell last night?" He asked them.

"Yes, we did," Holland nodded, buttering her bread roll, "The house elves insisted that we stay for cake, so that was a plus. Are we going to find out what it does."

"Well, you should be able to find out in...," James reached over the table, grabbing Remus' wrist, looking at the watch on his wrist, "Three, two, one..."

A loud bang went off, making heads turn to the Slytherin table to see it surrounded in red smoke. One the smoke cleared, laughs echoed around the hall, as the whole of the Slytherin table were now dressed in a red and gold uniform, their hair was all dyed to be red with gold streaks, and the same colours were painted on their faces. They all looked as though they were supporting the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

James smirked, turning back to the pair.

"Congrats on your first prank, Lux."

***

Holland and Remus sat on the sofa in the Room of Requirement, a song playing softly from the record player in the corner of the room.

"Come on." Holland grinned, standing up and grabbing his hand, bringing him to the space in the empty room.

The pair started slow dancing to the song, goofily twirling around the room.

Remus laughed, spinning the girl under his arm, looking down at her with adoration.

"Happy birthday," Holland whispered to him, resting her head on his chest, "You're incredible, Remus."

"And you're pulchritudinous, Holland." Remus muttered back, bringing her closer to him.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."