SEVEN

I didn't know what to expect when I kissed Roman with tongue. I didn't know whether he was going to washing machine me or get all slobbery like Clifford the Big Red Dog. I was surprised when his tongue felt... nice? I don't know, but whatever it was, was no washing machine or dog, not even a sharknado of teeth. It was soft and.... Caressing almost. It had been a while since I simple kissed someone like that which made it all.... soothing? I couldn't find the words for it. But surprising was definitely one that sprung to mind.

   "Are you even listening?" Rya interrupted my thoughts and flicked my arm with her pencil.

   "Ouch!" I hissed and rubbed the area that was now red. This girl has violence issues.

  Rya pulled at her golden locks and huffed. "Christopher is ahead of me in two classes! I need to up my game. Go through the flashcards again." We were sitting on the side-lines at cheer practice in the school's Gym. The other girls were practicing pyramids and only needed five people. The rest got to chill for a bit. However, 'chill' in Rya's mind meant 'study'.

  I sighed and went through the cards again.

   "42."

   "7."

   "156."

   "89."

   "10.25 –"

   "Would you slow down? My hands are getting cramps." I shook my already aching left hand. "You're starting to resemble Speedy Gonzalez."

  Rya rolled her eyes, "I am not! And Christopher is beating me in Algebra by 4 marks! I need to beat him! Please, Sienna!" she tried to snatch the cards out of my hands.

   "Would you calm the fuck down, Godzilla? You're doing great already." Rya was something called an 'overachiever'. You run five miles, she'll run eight. You read two books, she'll read ten. You eat a slice of pizza, she'll eat it all – including the box.

  She was the best of the best throughout elementary school. Then when Christopher Knowles moved to town at the start of middle school, things kicked off. Suddenly, Rya wasn't number one. Christopher wasn't that nice about it in all fairness. He was a smart kid and made sure to shove it in Rya's face every time he beat her. You can imagine the five long paragraphs I'd get sent, ranting about him and his stupid Finding Nemo themed pencil case after those incidents happened.

  When High School arrived, they became obsessed with beating one another, and so now, in Senior Year, when Valedictorian is up for grabs, they are both ruthless.

   "But Christopher is doing better! That's the problem."

  I gave in and went through the flashcards again. Rya answered them all effortlessly and I found myself wondering how someone could be so put-together? Rya was gorgeous, funny, and smart. Those three things were so hard to put together, yet she was all of them. Sure, she was extremely stressed-out half of the time, but I wondered how one person could do it all.

  Sometimes I wished she wasn't so good at everything, that she would fail something to make me feel better, but I knew that was selfish and I would never sabotage her like that anyways. Sometimes God put perfect people on the world and you just had to live with it.

  It didn't help that throughout the whole of practice, the basketball team was practicing. Adam was co-captain with his friend called Taylor. Taylor was a nice guy, sometimes too cocky for my liking, but still nice. His auburn hair and tan skin made him look like some prince-charming, and I knew he had a thing for Rya. He didn't make it obvious that he did, but one time at a party last year when Adam and I were together, Taylor got shit-faced drunk and kept talking about how Rya's hair 'shimmered like the sun' and how her eyes resembled 'the richest of sapphires'. I connected the dots and knew what was what. I never asked her if she knew about it though.