7.13

Season 7, episode 20

"Before we go, I'd just like to thank all of you for participating in the project. It truly means a lot." Helena told the room of attendings and residents, as she finished giving her presentation about the Africa Project.

As the room started slowly clapping, she heard Jackson complain. "Slow clap? They're giving her the slow clap?!"

After most of the attendings left the room, Helena turned to the group, as they left. "Jacks, I worked on this on my maternity leave. I worked for that slow clap."

——

"Makena?" Derek asked as he and Helena entered on of the kids' rooms. "Hi, I'm Dr. Shepherd. And, of course, you know Dr. Campos . We're here to take a look at Zola today."

As the woman passed the crying baby to Derek, Helena explained. "Sometimes babies with spina bifida can develop Chiari malformation, which causes fluid buildup in the brain. It can be uncomfortable for the baby, but sometimes, if you adjust their head position..."

"It helps relieve the pressure." Derek finished, as the baby in his arms stopped crying, now in a more comfortable position for her. With a hand in her mouth, Zola smile up at Derek, her other hand on his cheek. "Let me see this. Let me see this face..."

"We've had her at the orphanage since she was two months old. This is the first time she's stopped crying since I can remember..." The woman smiled.

"Let's just run and MRI and check to see if she had a Chiari malformation or hydrocephalus." The neurosurgeon spoke to the resident, as her checked Zola's eyes with the flashlight. "If it's possible, we're gonna have to do a shunt, drain the fluid. I'll postpone the spinal surgery, but I think it's gonna be worth it."

In his arms, Zola grabbed the light source, taking its other end to her mouth.

"I think Zola here like you." Helena smiled, noticing the way Derek was looking at the baby.

"She can keep that lamplight." He chuckled, handing her over to Makena.

——

"The trick is to go in very slowly, until you feel a little give and then you should see some fluid." Derek told Lena, who did as instructed, seeing fluid pour into the Petri dish she was holding.

"Got it." She let out.

"Very nice." Derek complimented. "You know, what you're doing with the kids, it's really impressive. And, you know, even if I'd still like you steal you for neuro, you're doing great, Lena. Honestly, congratulations."

"Thank you." The small girl smiled under her mask.

——