Chapter 18

His Royal Highness

Carlton House, London

Charlotte wanted to scream.

After a long meeting with the Prince Regent and the Prime Minister, they finally settled hers and Benedict's new 'title'. She had butterflies in her stomach. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't stay still.

The meeting was longer than expected, but before she could leave the palace, she wanted to speak to see her mother first.

"Mama," she finally found her outside of the dining room's doors.

"Darling, your should not be here," the Queen stated. "Were you not on your way to have dinner with your future husband's family?"

"Indeed, I was. But I..." She sighed contently. "Despite all our differences, everything we've been through... I wanted to thank you for granting me and Mr. Brid—"

"Call him by his name, Charlotte, not even I remember it," she said, and her daughter chuckled with a nod.

"Thank you for granting Benedict and I your support and blessing," she smiled. "It means the world to me, Mama."

"Oh, my dearest. You are a wonderful daughter, and sister. And you will be a wonderful wife," the Queen sighed with a small smile. "I must...apologize, if I pressured you too much into marrying this season. Although, I am utterly relieved and excited for you to marry for love."

"Careful, Mama. If others hear you, maybe they'll realize you do have a heart," she joked and the Queen chuckled. "Can I hug you?"

"Why on earth for?" She frowned.

"You hugged me last week when I was at my lowest... Can I hug you now when I am at...my...highest?" Charlotte wasn't entirely sure if that was the word she was looking, but the Queen chuckled and, nonetheless, pulled her daughter into a hug. "Mama... I love you."

"Oh, my darling. I love you too," the Queen smiled.

"So..." Charlotte sighed when the two pulled away and looked at the opened door in between them. "Why are you here, Mama?"

"Should there be a reason for me to be here?" The Queen asked back. "This is my palace."

"I know Papa usually has dinner in that room, on his own," she said sincerely and looked down at the ground. "I have thought of joining him, a few times, but... It frightens me, being near him on my own. When he only wants...her."

"He loves you, darling," she placed her hand on her daughter's cheek. "He's trapped in his own mind. Behind his insanity, he still loves you. He loves all his children equally."

"As much as I want to believe you..." She sighed and looked up at her mother. "That is very hard to believe, Mama."

Then, the Queen turned her attention to the man at the door. One of the King's servants, who only nodded at her, motioning her she could come in.

"Come with me," her mother offered her hand. "Let's join him together."

Charlotte hesitated, but eventually placed her hand over her mother's, and the two walked inside the dining room.