Chapter Twenty One - The Truth Always Comes Out

Despite the events that transpired that morning Jen got ready for the night's festivities. She had no desire to see her brother let alone attend the same ball with him and Lady Danbury, she'd rather spend the evening sat in the gardens at peace at last for the day, but duty calls and with the ton's eyes on her and her brothers every move lately she had to attend unless she wished to be Lady Whistledown's topic of conversation in the morning's society papers.

"Would it pain you to wear some colour Your Grace? The London season is already terribly monotonous as it is! Must your wardrobe be the sane?" Lady Danbury enquired as she stared at his outfit from head to toe.

"I was told this look is all the rage" Simon mocked as he looked at his outfit.

"Certainly not mine" Lady Danbury mumbled.

"Whoever told you that lied to your face brother" Jen said as she rolled her eyes at him, before he had the chance to respond Lady Danbury interrupted the pair.

"Take my arm before you make us late", with that he took her outstretched arm and held his own out for Jenifer to take as they made their entrance to the ball.

As the Basset siblings entered all eyes averted to them, mere seconds later the Bridgerton's made their entrance and Daphne and Simon were the focus of everyone in the room.

"A dance, Miss Bridgerton?" Simon enquired, Anthony steps forward to stop him but Lady Danbury interjects directing her question to Anthony.

"I shall need someone else to seek me a glass of ratafia then, Lord Bridgerton do me the honour?" she said with an outstretched arm for him to take, causing Daphne and Simon to smirk and Jenifer to roll her eyes at her antics.

"Of course, Lady Danbury" he replies with a fake smile and glares in Simon's direction as he escorts Lady Danbury to the refreshments.

Simon escorts Daphne to the dance floor while Jenifer makes her way to the refreshments and hopes she can hide in the back of the room and remain unbothered for the remainder of the evening.

"Six balls no more. I must have you at eight. Along with a picnic." Daphne starts but is interrupted by Simon.

"A picnic?" he quips back

"I am afraid we are required to fan the flames of our charade" Daphne continues,

"Ah, because of Lord Berbrooke I presume? I heard" Simon says with a slight smirk.

"We must make him believe that you are on the very precipice of a proposal... so that he will leave me alone" Daphne sighs

"I should hope I do not I do not lose my balance then" he replied

"I should hope not either for you will be glued to my side all evening and we must look like we are enjoying ourselves, as difficult as that may be" Daphne replies back with a grin.

"Yes, quite" Simon said as both he and Daphne bow to one another and begin to dance.

The pair laughed and danced as though nobody was watching, which was quite the opposite for multiple eyes were glued to them. Lady Danbury and Violet in sheer delight and smiles etched across both their faces, Anthony unimpressed and angered that Simon didn't seem to recall their conversation from that morning, Jen left in utter confusion and Lord Berbrooke left in, well, anger? No, jealously perhaps because he knew Daphne would never be like that towards him, no matter how hard he tried.