23

Just a filler!!

...

Harry

"Okay, show me it," Louis says. It's a pointless statement since he knew I was planning on doing that already, but I opt not to comment on that. 

"Hold on," I mutter.

 Louis takes a seat at the edge of mine and Amelia's bed while I walk into the large closet. I bite the inside of my cheek, my eyes scanning over the shelves that decorate the walls. 

Top shelf. All the way to the right. Under my World Tour hoodie from 2018. 

I repeat those words over and over until my head, walking over to that exact shelf. I don't know why I feel so nervous looking for it, but I immediately breathe a sigh of relief when I blindly reach under the sweatshirt and find the small, velvet box. 

Currently, Amelia is out with her mum. She insisted on taking Amelia to her doctor's appointment today, as well as taking her out for a bite to eat. Although Amelia should be on bed rest, she was cleared to go outside for short periods at a time after a certain amount of days, so her mum suggested getting lunch and taking a stroll through Central Park since the weather is nice. I was a little apprehensive because I don't want Amelia to strain herself, but she assured me she would come home immediately if she didn't feel well. Reluctantly, I let her go, but I'm not too upset over it because it's a good time to catch up with Louis. 

We talk fairly frequently so there wasn't too much to update each other on, but the main focus of our conversation has been my upcoming proposal. Well hopefully my upcoming engagement. Amelia could very well say no. 

I take the box and pad out of the closet, walking over to Louis and taking a seat beside him. He looks at me expectedly while I hand him the small box. 

I wipe my sweaty palms on my pants while Louis opens the box. Again, I don't know why I'm nervous. I think it's just because my plans to propose are slowly coming back instead of being shoved into the back of my mind. 

"It's beautiful," Louis says with a small smile on his face after examine the ring for a couple minutes. 

I breathe out another sigh of relief, not realizing that I had been holding my breath to begin with. I knew I didn't technically need Louis' approval, but it feels good to have anyway. 

"Thank you," I reply, rubbing the back of my neck. I'm glad I wound up bringing the ring with me everywhere I went. It was shipped to my house in London but I felt the compulsive need to have it be near me at all times, just incase I suppose. "Do you think she'll like it?" 

Louis nods, his eyes still trained on the ring. 

"I do," he answers. "I think she'll like it a lot. Any idea on when you're going to pop the question?"

I shrug, averting my eyes so I can stare at the floor. 

"No clue. Not soon since she's still healing and we have all this legal shit to handle with Justin. Shannon actually wound up giving a pretty accurate statement to the police which should speed things up. I think she was charged as an 'accessory to the crime' afterwards, though, which is unfortunate," I answer. 

I look back at Louis who raises his eyebrows. 

"Is it though? Is it really unfortunate?" he asks. 

I shrug again. 

"The whole situation is. I feel awful about Amelia's ex-friend doing this to her," I say. I sigh heavily and then continue. "But anyways, we also have the MET Gala, which I still need to talk to Amelia about, so I wouldn't want to propose around then. Then I have to go back to California soon to finish the album and Jeff also wants to begin ironing out all these details...It's stressful," I admit. "I wanted to propose before I started writing so there wasn't a schedule and we could just take some time off together but clearly that didn't go to plan." 

Louis pats my upper back, near my shoulder. 

"It happened for a reason, mate. And don't worry too much. The time'll come," he says, earning a smile from me. 

"Thanks," I reply. "You're right, it happened for a reason. I feel like our relationship is slowly getting back to where it was, and even stronger if that was possible. I can't explain why. Maybe it's the transparency between us now or the fact that she took a hit for me," I chuckle. "And with the proposal, I'm not upset over pushing it back. Now that I think about it, I didn't have much of a plan. I knew I wanted to do it but I was messy with it, and hasty. This time around, I want to get her parents' blessing, and talk to her friends about it too. It's important to me that they know how much I love her before I ask her to marry me."

I smile to myself, thinking about a future with Amelia. We still have things we need to talk about and work on, but I know once we get to that good place that'll be it. It'll be us forever, assuming she wants me by her side for that long. 

"I think that's a good plan, Harry," Louis says. He closes the ring box and places it on the bed between us. "Just take things at your own pace. There's no rush," 

I nod in agreement. I'm not worried about when I'll propose to Amelia. I know she loves me and won't leave me. Of course there's the lingering thought in the back of my mind that she'll deny my proposal, but I don't think it would ever be because she doesn't want to marry me. It might be because she's not ready for that level of commitment yet, or because the timing is wrong. 

"I know. I'm just waiting for the right time," I say. "I'm not planning something big or grand. Amelia's not that person so I don't need to worry about that. I think I'll just carry the ring around with me and...wait for that perfect moment." 

"That's a solid plan. Big proposals can be nice but I definitely agree that Amelia is more - what's the word - inconspicuous? Low-key? You know what I mean, but I think she'd appreciate something small, just between you two," Louis tells me. 

Something just between us. 

That's definitely how I see myself asking her to marry me. I want it to be intimate so I can be as sappy as I want with her, and so that she'll feel most comfortable. Large crowds or gestures wouldn't be appropriate, even though I do love a grand proposal. It's just not for Amelia and I, but that's okay. 

"Thanks, Louis," I tell my friend. I give him a small smile, feeling somewhat nostalgic being here with him right now. Memories of us from over the years threaten to flood my brain but I desperately try to keep them at bay. "I really appreciate your support."

Louis grabs my shoulder, giving it a squeeze. 

"Of course. I'll always have your back," he says. "Now, let's discuss the real important stuff, yeah? In the event that Amelia says yes, which she will, I will be throwing you the most ultimate bachelor party," I roll my eyes, a chuckle slipping past my lips. "I need to know some basic things so I can take the next however long to prepare, okay? So first off, do you want female or male strippers? Or both?"

I groan. I can't wait for Amelia to come back so that this conversation will end, because I know Louis and he won't let up until I give him some sort of answers. 

This is going to be the world's longest afternoon. 

...

Sorry it's short, but I'm stretching out my chapters for y'all lol