intolerable reality

After hanging up, Aaron informs Juliette that Garcia has been hacked by The Replicator, explaining that photos of the team in New York are flashing across her screen. Rushing out of their room, they run into Rossi, who's having trouble getting ahold of Strauss.

Connecting the dots, they enter her room with their hands on their holsters, finding it littered with empty mini-bar bottles of alcohol, yet no Strauss. Hotch calls Garcia to get ahold of the rest of the team, then the three rush to look for Erin.

Aaron takes the west staircase and Juliette takes the east, with Rossi to the roof. Moments after they loose each other in the chaos, Aaron's phone rings from a number he doesn't recognize. While he's being taunted by the threat of forever losing his boss and reminders of Foyet, Juliette spots Erin alone on a bench just down the block from the hotel.

She calls Aaron while running across the busy city streets, promised the EMTs are on their way as she sits next to her. "Erin, Erin, help is on the way."

She's disoriented, coughing into her hand like the ecstasy victims. "He put a gun to my head, he made me drink."

"I'm sorry." Juliette feels horrible, but the alcohol is the least of her worries. "Did you recognize him?"

"He said to give you this." Erin holds out a folded piece of paper, panting, but Juliette doesn't have a chance to look at it. "He said he's going to race you home. Does that mean anything to you?"

"Erin, did you recognize him?" She asks again, but she doesn't receive an answer.

"I wish you could have been with Griffin, I regret it every day."

"I know." Juliette responds. "So do I."

Suddenly, Erin rushes forward and Juliette has to force her down into the bench again. "He knows my family, he knows my children. You have to protect my kids! You have to find him."

"We will, we will." Juliette reassures holding her shaking hands as her breathing slows.

Strauss stops breathing two minutes before an ambulance arrives, and there's nothing Juliette can do but hold her. She doesn't notice Aaron behind the bench until she stands to let the EMTs in, backing into him in the process.

She pulls him into a hug, refusing to let tears fall because she knows the team will be there any minute. Dave and the rest arrive moments later, and even though the city moves as if everything's normal, it feels so quiet to Juliette.

It's not until they're watching the ambulance pull away that she remembers the folded piece of paper she had stuffed in her pants pocket. Breaking the silence, she turns to Aaron. "The Replicator told her to give this to me."

She unfolds the paper after a nod of approval, finding a clipped newspaper article from five years prior that reads, Under Secretary of International Security Killed in Car Accident. She freezes, as if the world around her had stopped, but only for a moment.

Ignoring Aaron's expectant look, she hands the paper to Spencer. His eyes widen, and when his expression turns to something of fear, Aaron becomes impatient. "What is it?"

"I... have to make a call." Juliette says, taking the article back and turning down the street for some privacy with a power walk that everyone knows not to follow.

One call turns into five, taking her from the city streets to the jet. She stands in the kitchenette, fighting in hushed whispers with an assistant secretary about how much she can say for their investigation, and how in the world the Replicator learned of it.

Finally, she ends the call with a huff and returns to her seat next Aaron, ignoring the teams confused stares that turn baffled when she laces their hands. "I'll explain at the round table." She mutters, waiting for a nod before leaning into his shoulder.