Arc 1 Chapter 5: The Underworld Boss

【The targets favor has increased to -10%】

System: "~Oh?"

For only a millisecond Diyu seemed almost overwhelmed as he lightly stepped back.

The room remained deathly silent, even Diyu's subordinates were quiet watching their boss with wide eyes. 

They had never seen Diyu look so overwelled, it was as if he was deeply shocked to his core.

However in an instance it was over, as if nothing happened he quickly recovered his eyes growing colder than ever, he turned his back completely away from Chen Yanyan as he looked looked back to his subordinates.

Diyu: "It's obviously not working, give him another dosage."

The second subordinate carrying the syringe box seemed frightened. "I'm sorry sir we only brought two! One dosage is usually strong enough... let alone two! B-besides, it seems to be working..." The subordinate squeaked out the last part, scared to get punished for saying such things.

Diyu's chilling eyes turned back to Chen Yanyan as he gave a sneer.

"Ha you say you could never betray me ~but isn't everyone the same? Tell me if I was to get shot and you could either die saving me or live, what would you do?"

The answer was obvious to Diyu, anyone would choose to save themselves in such a situation especially regarding him, no one would ever willingly try to save him.

Chen Yanyan blinked twice, dazed before his eyes cleared and he warmly smiled. "If I could choose to save you then the answer is simple, of course I would choose death."

Diyu: "...."

In an instance Diyu's cold chest felt a hint of warmth.

*Thump *Thump

【The targets favor has increased to -5%】

Diyu grew dazed as he staggered back, stiff from what he had just heard. The man had made such bold claims while under truth serum...

System: "Wow host really shook him to his core."

Before Chen Yanyan could celebrate moving a little farther from death he began to sway back and forth, his consciousness quickly fading.

Second Subordinate: "Ah boss, he looks really pale!"

Diyu was still dazed while the subordinate noticed Chen Yanyan's strange disposition. 

Chen Yanyan grew worried feeling his consciousness once again fade, he inwardly grew scared but calmly spoke. "System, what's going on... Am I dying?"

System: "Don't be silly, host is simply passing out. Although I was able to block the effects of the truth serum two dosages are still hard on the body, you are currently growing unconscious and I'm going back to sleep."

Chen Yanyan's vision blurred as one thought pierced his mind. "Sh*t."

He still wasn't sure if he had convinced Diyu enough to be allowed to live.

Instantly his limp body fell back onto the bed, as soon as it did the second subordinate rushed to his side checking over his body with a sigh. "Good it seems he has simply fainted due to the effects of the drug."

Finally Diyu came to his senses, he looked down at the now unconscious Chen Yanyan.

His eyes seemed perplexed as they wavered on the unconscious body unsure what to think.

For a moment he seemed to almost soften, his heart swiftly beating with a hidden feeling of longing-

No.

Quickly the moment disappeared as he finally sharpened his gaze and grew cold once more.

【The targets favor has dropped to -15%】

Diyu: "So Doc, it's unknown when he will regain his lost memories, correct?"

The cold young female Doctor was standing outside the door, she had just returned from finishing her cigarette and now she aimlessly looked at nothing.

For some reason she had felt the strange urge to return back, now looking at the situation she once again felt nothing.

Doctor: "That is correct..."

Upon hearing this Diyu reached his arm back and pulled out a pistol stationed in a hidden holster around his waist.

With a no longer interested face he aimed the gun's barrel straight towards Chen Yanyan. "If he can no longer remember where he put the money then he's no longer any use to us."

The man had already betrayed Diyu once, this was the Mafia there were no second chances.

Yes, the man who had betrayed, stolen, and tried to escape had already been lucky enough to not have been tortured, now he would die a quick and pain-free death, this was already generous considering the type of business he was in.

The mafia was a cruel and callous place where one's emotions couldn't be involved.

The Doctor momentarily widened her sharp eyes seeing the pistol in Diyu's hands but said nothing. 

*Click

Everything remained silent in the room as Diyu got ready to aim and shoot, no one said a word.

.....

However as Diyu looked down at the sleeping man he suddenly remembered Chen Yanyan's clear eyes as he pleaded innocence.

Diyu's jaw clenched, slowly he lowered the gun and put it back in its holster.

【The targets favor has dropped to -10%】

He already knew he wouldn't shoot the man.

His ragefull bloodlust towards the traitor had already long disappeared.

Now killing the man would no longer bring him satisfaction, it would only bring a bitter after taste.

No perhaps such feelings hadn't been there the moment he walked into the hospital room...

Jian looked at Diyu with astonished eyes.

Once Diyu judged someone to be guilty that was the end, there were no second chances. If Diyu raised his gun towards someone, that was the end... 

He was a demon, not even man, devoid of emotions and pity, he had never spared anyone before.

For Diyu to lower his gun and put it away was truly a miracle or perhaps curse in itself.

Jian: "You-you're going to let him live?"

Diyu's eyes turned cold as his expression grew unreadable. "For now he can rot here until his memories return, once that happens I will come back and be content with killing him."

Diyu turned his cold expression towards the Doctor. "Keep him under surveillance and inform me if anything happens to his condition, I will leave two other subordinates to guard him, now I shall take my leave."

With that he turned and walked out.

Desert Note:

*Later on

Chen Yanyan: "Why do all the targets hate me?!"

A Certain Purple eyed Man sarcastically. "I wonder why... what could be the reason..."