chapter thirty nine *

TW: self harm and abuse 

~Harry~

The walk home seemed to be an entirety. It was as though as soon as the house came into view, the block simply elongated until he was right back where he started. He walked and walked until he couldn't anymore. The bag slung over his shoulder becoming heavier by the minute, only weighing him down more as his feet slowly tread along the road. He tried his hardest to pick up the pace, to get to Gemma as her screams echoed through the wind and into his ears.

"Harry," she shouted, causing him to shut his eyes as he blocked his ears. "Help me!"

"I'm trying," he cried, crouching down onto the road underneath him as he yelled in pain.

His heart was breaking, now matter how hard he tried he just couldn't get to her. It was as if he couldn't move, like all time had frozen and he was just mere steps away from saving her... but he couldn't.

Because now he couldn't move.

His feet were stuck to the ground. No matter how hard he jerked his body forward, he would just get ricashaded back into his original position. He twisted his body any way he could to run, he bent his knees, twisted his ankles, he did everything. But nothing was good enough. All he could hear was the screams of Gemma getting louder, and the hits from his father growing harder.

He closed his eyes once more, trying his hardest to cancel out the screams of his sister with the nail biting one of his own. His throat became raw due to the yell escaping his lips, his hands cramping due to the tight grip he had on his hair. The tears streamed down his face quickly as he prayed that he could move, that he could save Gemma.

His eyes snapped open when everything went silent. His ears rang loudly as the once daylight turned into complete darkness. He looked around, his mind cloudy as his vision was still blurred by the tears. There wasn't a soul in sight, nothing other than complete and utter darkness. He raised to his knees, his eyes quickly falling down as his foot lifted off the ground. His heart leaped with joy, he could get to Gemma.

He took off faster than the speed of light, running until his feet felt as though they were on fire as he roamed aimlessly through the dark. He stopped suddenly when he felt a strong gust of wind, whipping his body around to find the source as he realized he was in fact still outside. There was very little light, only a dim glow from an object that appeared to be impossible to touch. He reached his hand out, his feet following subconsciously as the light grew brighter with each step he took.

The silent ringing in his ears soon faded, only to be replaced with a silent hum of a voice he knew so well.

"Marley," he called out, his voice shaky as he spoke for the first time in what felt like years.