Chapter 15

"Don't be nervous." Micheal whispered to me as we walked down the hall.

"I'm not nervous." I denied.

"Then why do you look nervous?"

"Because I am nervous, Micheal!" 

"Why are you nervous, November?"

"Oh, I don't know." I mumbled sarcastically. "Could it be because you guys are dragging me along to meet a man who kills anyone that he doesn't know? Romeo Barsille has a reputation for murder. He's an Italian mobster from one of the most notorious crime families in Florence, that's all I know. Or maybe it's because no one is telling me anything and Cage has said nothing about letting me go."

"You still think that's an option?" Nick asked, overhearing our conversation.

"Of course!" I said, trying to make myself believe it. "Cage said he would. Well, I mean, he didn't exactly say it...I kinda just assumed. But I think my assumption is correct. It better be. I hope it is. Oh my God, what if it's not? What if I'm stuck here with you guys for the rest of my life?"

"The horror." Heath rolled his eyes.

I followed them down another hall. We were still in the building, but we were going underground. It really was an ingenious idea. They lived under the grid of Chicago, below the sewers where no one bothered to look. No wonder they had been able to survive for ten years. Not that I should be praising Cage Vickers or anything, but he was brilliant as Micheal said. To make it to the top and stay there for as long as he did earned a certain level of respect, even from me.

This morning was unusual. After last night, I thought that...I don't know what I thought. I didn't know what to think. Of course I should have expected the cold shoulder from Cage Vickers. He was a criminal king. He didn't do nice. That morning, Cage barely said two words to me. Despite every reason I tried to smother myself with, I was a bit hurt. To get so close to a man who shut everyone and everything out only for him to turn me away stung.

But I should have known better. Cage acted like a normal man last night, but that was only for last night. Today, he was back to his cold exterior. However, knowing that he was capable of something other than cruelty was an advantage I could use. 

"How good are you with a knife?" Nick asked.

The look of horror on my face must have been amusing to them because they all laughed. Cage was walking ahead of us, talking on a phone. He turned around and flashed a cold glare at one of us, I couldn't quite make out who. Nick's startling comment was more than enough to make me panic about my impending doom. 

"It's okay, November-"

"Nothing is okay, Micheal." I blinked back tears. "I haven't seen my sister for two whole days, no one is telling me anything, and I missed the season premiere of Pretty Little Liars. With all of these luxuries, I hope you have Netflix- I am missing an eyebrow!"

Nick suddenly stopped walking to pick up a bullet he dropped. Since I was behind him, I crashed into his back. My nose was crushed in the process. At that point, I nearly did start crying. Micheal's laughter didn't help at all.

He had been nice enough to pick up some clothes that fit me last night. I think it might have been Cage's doing but I didn't ask. Also, I didn't understand where Micheal had gotten the clothes from. Did he just walk into a Wal-Mart? Did he rob a mannequin? Who knows. The leggings were too big for my twig legs and the leather jacket was more badass than I was, but I wasn't complaining. It was a relief not to wear Cage's clothes anymore. His smell was driving me insane. Seriously, I needed to find out what kind of shampoo Cage used.