si je pouvais voler...

(11/03/18)

11.03.18- UNKNOWN NUMBER + 1 ******

"Hello, who is this?" I frown, putting my phone up to my ear.

I walk away from the band as they rehearse, hitting the drums passionately and making the most angelic sounds with their guitars, and Harry's voice of course. They're rehearsing a new song called Medicine, and another one which I'm not allowed to hear yet.

I had a look at the setlist for tonight, and it's incredible. There are some One Direction songs, such as 'What Makes You Beautiful' and 'Stockholm Syndrome', which have been twisted and turned to suit Harry's new sound, plus the Fleetwood Mac cover that he's been practicing for weeks.

"Hello, is this Nixie?" The other line questions.

I stop in my steps, inhaling a sharp breath. The frown in my forehead deepens, and I turn away from sight, ducking behind the nearest wall. I don't know this voice.

"Yes, it is. Who is this?" I repeat.

The only response I get is a slight crackle as the speaker's voice is cut off by bad reception on both ends. I think it's a woman, just judging by the glimpse of tone I got for less than a second. I strain to hear.

It almost sounds like they're in a club. I can distinguish a heavy beat in the background, and the distant sounds of laughter and drunk shouting. The unknown caller seems to step outside, as the loud noise slows to a stop.

"Hi, sorry I'm out," They breathe with a laugh. "It's nice to talk to you finally!"

A sick feeling enters my stomach at the girl's words. Mainly because I don't know her, and she knows me, but also because of her slurred speech and giggles. This is certainly going to be an interesting conversation.

"You too," I think for a moment. "Who is this?"

"I'm Kayla!" She says woozily.

My heart drops. I do know her. Well, we never met, but I've heard of her, that's for sure. I start pacing up and down the narrow corridor of the arena, chewing at my fingernails anxiously.

What do I say? 'Oh yeah, it's great to finally meet the person that my dead ex-boyfriend might have been cheating on me with, it's a pleasure'.

"Hi Kayla. Is everything okay?"

"Oh yeah, yeah, of.... Of course. I just had something to get off my chest, and I thought I should tell you..." She giggles uncontrollably for a few seconds.

She's definitely on something.

"So, remember like a long time ago, when you and Tyler were together?" Kayla asks, hiccupping a bit.