Welcome To The Real World

Chapter 32 - recap

Little did I know we had both fallen asleep, and a certain salmon-haired boy caught sight of us as he finished work. A small smile spread across his face as he looked over his future wife and his little sister, sleeping. He lifted the blue haired girl and placed a blanket over the blonde. Carefully he put the smaller girl to bed before heading back for the exhausted older girl.

My eye peeled open slightly when I felt warmth beneath my side. I stirred and felt someone press their lips to my temple. "Just sleep...you haven't gotten enough recently..." Deep down I knew they where right because the amount of sleep I had been receiving was decreasing, and with finals at school nearing along with graduation I couldn't afford to fall face first in exhaustion.

And so, that night I slept in the warmest and safest arms imaginable.

• * •

Chapter 33 - Welcome To The Real World

The finals where over. Our pencils had graced school papers one last time. Our business projects where completed and turned in, everything coming to a wrap, yet it was only just the beginning. Our high school days where over, and now we stood as a class before a crowd of smiling parents. Well, most of us did. Some of us had lost our families, members of them or had no one who bothered to come.

I was among those who had no blood relative there. But I didn't mind. I had family enough in the people who I would soon officially be family to. I looked to my right and down the row where Natsu sat talking with another guy. Levy was a few seats to my left. I closed my eyes and let out an uneasy breath as I thought back to this morning...

• * •

I stared at my reflection for what seemed like forever. I tried thinking back over the last year, remembering that a year ago Natsu and I where still only best friends, fumbling through life with no determined purpose.

And now, everything was falling into place.

Everything in our lives had led up to where we are now, and where we are headed. I hope you are proud mom...because I've done my best. And now I'm going to graduate, and marry the best guy in the whole world. A stray tear slides down my cheek that I quickly wipe away.

I smile at myself, all grown up. I wonder what my younger self would think? She would have laughed and said marrying a guy like Natsu was something she would never do in a million years. She would have been happy I gave my all in school.

"Lucy, we gotta go!" Natsu yelled.

"Coming!" I reply before looking at myself one last time.

"I'm ready." I sigh, and hurry out the door.

• * •

My breath evens out as my name is called. People clap, and I accept my diploma. I shake hands with the principal, Makarov. Then I head down to the seating for students who have walked the stage. I've done it...

I watch Levy, Natsu, Gray, Gajeel, Erza, Juvia and everyone I'd known in school walk across and join me. We all where smiling as the announced our class one last time before tossing our caps in the air, yelling and whooping. Levy and I hugged, and Natsu stole a surprise kiss from me--earning lots of "aw's" from our classmates.

We all went to an after party and spent the night dancing and drinking, not caring about anything for another night. When everyone was leaving we said goodbye to people, and we knew we wouldn't see some of them ever again in our lifetime. But as they left we still smiled.

Natsu drove us home, being the one of us who didn't get drunk. He pouted at the fact that I didn't let him drink. "You owe me Luce," he had mumbled into my ear. Now I was leaning on the car window watching street lamps pass me by. Natsu and I had our hands over the arm rests of our seats and my fingers where intertwined with his.

"Hey Natsu...remember the day we met? How shy I was and how devious you had been? How your mom asked me if I could put you in a better mood?" I ask still looking out the window.

Natsu chuckled softly, "Yeah, I remember that day perfectly." His hand tightened on mine a bit. I smiled to myself.

"That was the first time I'd ever actually played that game. I had only ever heard my cousins talk about it, but we never played it," I sigh.

"So that's why I always beat you," Natsu teased.

"Hey, it wasn't my fault I didn't know my way around your garden...!" I defend myself.

"But I still beat you later on..." He grinned.

"Not always," I huff. He laughs and shakes his head.

"Alright I'll give you that, but I still think I'm best." He adds.

"Whatever, you egotistic maniac..." I mutter as he pulls into the driveway of the mansion.

• * •

Chapter 34 - Wedding Bells Ring! - Preview

"Don't let him out of your sight!" I call.

"Shut up, I'm not a kid Lucy!" Natsu hollers.

"I'll take care of him!" Gajeel laughs and Natsu glares at him while Levy, Erza and Juvia pull me away to get ready.

"Ah, I can't believe it Lu! It's happening!" Levy gushed.

"But she isn't the only one anymore..." Erza grinned.

"I'm just glad Jellal finally proposed..." We all sigh and burst into laughter.

"But we have to hurry! We only have an hour to get her into her dress and get her fixed up!" Levy rushes. Then they get to work getting me ready. I had a long hour ahead of me...