downtown tokyo VI

There wasn't any hesitation when it came to law enforcement as the crowd panicked and rushed to their vehicles, making it hard for any driver to get out of the parking lot safely. Kuroo grabbed Leia's hand as they both rushed inside his 350Z, Kenma closely following behind as he shoved himself into the backseat of the two-seater car.

"Looks like I'll have to buy you ramen another time!" Leia yelled back at you before she hopped into the 350Z, shutting the passenger side door behind her. Kuroo sped off into the night right after, straight into the highway as his engine echoed throughout the air.

Oikawa grabbed your hand and quickly opened the passenger door of his car, motioning for you to get in. Once your body sank low into the seat again, he shut the door, jumping onto the front of his car while swiftly gliding across the hood, opening the driver's side all in one fluid motion. The second he hopped in, Oikawa quickly stomped on the clutch and started the engine, switching on the headlights while revving the car, speeding off into the same direction as Kuroo.

With people still running in multiple directions throughout the parking lot, it was difficult for anyone to get out safely onto the main road. The highway near the car meet became flooded with vehicles packed end to end, bumper to bumper—causing Oikawa to take a shortcut between two factory buildings, speeding down a tight alleyway. He quickly pressed down on the clutch again, rapidly switching from third to fourth gear with his left hand, accelerating the speed of his car as the engine boomed.

You looked over to your right and saw a tensed expression on his face with his eyebrows furrowed and his bottom lip pouted, focusing on the road ahead of him. He kept his left hand on the gear stick and his right hand on the steering wheel, quickly downshifting from fourth to third gear, blipping the throttle with the tip of his foot before slowing down.

Once he placed the emergency brake up, he drifted a tight corner between the two buildings, entering a small street perpendicular to the main highway packed with most of the people from the car meet. You held onto the grab handle above your head, clutching it tightly while you felt your entire body swerve to the left, noticing Oikawa's body ricocheted in his seat as well with the turn of the drift.

Once he was able to steady the direction of the car, he stepped on the clutch and shifted the car back up to fourth and then fifth gear sequentially—hitting the gas pedal hard as he sped down the small road, catching the attention of the pedestrians walking on the side. In the rearview mirror, you saw police lights flash brightly coming in your direction, not noticing them on your tails before as the roar of his engine drowned out the sound of the sirens.

Oikawa's eyes shifted up to look at the rearview mirror, pinching the edges of his eyebrows closer together as he became more infuriated. Another scowl plastered on his face, tensing his entire body up while stepping on the gas pedal harder. On his speedometer, you saw him pushing past 150km/h—not as fast as in the race, but fast enough to escape the police trailing behind you. Focusing on the road ahead of him while turning corners and speeding down adjacent roads, Oikawa remained silent the whole time the police chased after you two.

Your mind felt dizzy; unable to comprehend how he was able to stay so focused and calm with the sirens blaring in his ears. Thinking to yourself if you were in his place, you would have immediately panicked, not knowing what to do in the moment. While racing through different theories and conclusions, you remembered that Oikawa was a criminal—this probably wasn't the first time he had been hunted by law enforcement.

Despite being in a chase, you looked outside of the window to see the city skyline shine brightly in the night, the neon colors scattered throughout the horizon. You reflected back on your actions during the past hour, wondering how you were able to end up in the passenger seat of a car during a street race, now chased by law enforcement on the streets of Tokyo. Yet, in the back of your mind you would not have wanted to do anything else—or even with anyone else.