20 | Tunnel (II)

Reeca exhaled against the pain with every flap of her wings

Reeca exhaled against the pain with every flap of her wings. Sunlight glinted against her sword's blade as she turned it in her hands. Having weaved magic into it, it wouldn't dull or shatter. However, she couldn't take a life else she risk suffering a drawback according to the unwritten law of magic usage.

Thoughts of murder didn't bother her. This was war. Someone was bound to die or get hurt. What mattered was that Reeca got what she wanted out of it. Right now, killing people would prove vital. If she could get to Vikara's side, then she could finally move on with the plan.

All was well.

Reeca hovered in the clouds, squinting her eyes at the developing battle below for a perfect chance to strike. Vikara's army had moved past the moat despite Nyxis's sentiments against it. From the Palace's side, Civil Knights struggled to haul the large drawbridge before enemy riders could pass.

What was once full of merchant carts two hours ago, the bridge was clear and pronounced welcome for Vikara's army. From Reeca's place in the sky, she spotted the twins, Viktir and Pikard, astride two identical dagrines. She rolled her eyes. Even in choice animals, those two didn't bother choosing something different from each other.

Behind the twins were at least five hundred men both on foot and astride riding animals. All shouted as they ran through the first gate to lead them into the Palace's first wall. The sound of gears turning caught Reeca's attention.

Crossbows from the crenellations turned towards the attacking army. Knights dressed in gold armor manned the contraptions, aiming at random points. The battle has begun.

She angled her body, sheathed her sword, and spread her wings. Then, she dove. The wind ruffled her hair as she tore through the clouds and towards the twins. The region commanders stayed at the edge closest to the bridge outside the first wall. Beyond them, their men fought to take control of the gates.

The twins grinned when they glimpsed at Reeca. She landed beside Viktir's horse and cleared her throat.

"Where do you need me?" Reeca asked. Viktir raised an eyebrow and Pikard tapped his chin. Unlike everyone around her, she knew which was which. Their main difference? The presence of moles on their right cheek.

"Ah, you should not be here, mirchanka," Pikard shook his head. "Vikara will be annoyed you disobeyed her."

Viktir clapped his brother in the arm then lashed out. Reeca ducked as Viktir's fingers closed around an arrow shaft. Her eyes widened as her heartbeat soared. That was close. It was crossbow ammunition. It would have pierced her neck if it succeeded.

Viktir threw the arrow into the moat behind him. Reeca barely heard the water splash over the screams and the metal clanging over the battlefield. Where was Nyxis?

Viktir pointed northwest. "Help those runts," he scratched his armpit. Reeca followed his gaze and winced as men fitted with spare armor parts tumbled into the edge of the grassy edge and plopped into the murky water. Oh. Those runts.