Chapter 2 - The Sorting Hat

{Y/N's POV}

Tom and I stood next to each other in the crowd of first-year students. We were currently waiting to be sorted into our groups. We were obviously going to be last because we were the oldest students in the crowd.

Some whispering was happening at the sight of us. Rumours that we were muggles and rumours that we had transferred from a school called... beauxbatons?

Despite the whispering, Tom held his head high as he stared down on the rest of the students.

"Look at all these half-bloods," Tom said, disgusted.

"Tom."

"What?"

"We're both half-bloods too, though. Dumbledore told us that," I said with a goofy grin.

Tom rolled his eyes. "Shut up."

I playfully hit him and heard his name be called by Professor Dumbledore.

"Tom Marvolo Riddle!"

I saw Tom cringe at his muggle name. I never really understood why he hated it because I liked his name.

The infamous sorting hat was placed on his head once he sat on the wooden stool. It didn't take long for the hat to sort out Tom.

"Slytherin!" the hat declared. The Slytherins started to cheer as Tom stood back up and walked to the Slytherin table.

"Y/F/N!" (Your Full Name)

I nervously walked toward the sorting hat and sat on the stool.

"Hm... interesting. Your mind and strength resides in Slytherin," it said. "But your heart belongs in... Gryffindor!" it shouted.

I looked over at Tom. Disappointment lingered in his eyes as he watched me walk over to the Gryffindor table.

I was greeted with handshakes, smiles, and pats on the back.

"Hi!" I heard a cheery voice say.

I looked behind me and saw a cheery boy around my age.

"Hi," I said back awkwardly.

"I'm Sirius Black," he said with a constant smile that made me melt. He held out his hands for a handshake and I accepted it.

"I'm Y/F/N. Nice to meet you," I said.

"Oh, there's no need to be formal with me. Especially if we're going to be friends," he said.

I smiled. "I like the sound of that, friend."

He leaned in closer to my ear. "Are you close with Tom?" he asked. I nodded.

"Well, he's a Slytherin now so I suggest you stay away from him. Gryffindors and Slytherins don't get along well. They're practically enemies," he said.

He didn't say anything else. Probably for a dramatic effect and it sorta worked.

"But, welcome to Hogwarts! My older cousins said there are some ghosts who will scare you for fun, but otherwise, it's normal like any other magical school."

For once, I felt like I was at home, but somehow, I still felt empty. I looked over at Tom. We have never been apart for long before, but just because I'm in Gryffindor doesn't mean that we are enemies now.

Right?

----

- riddlefiqs