Chapter 42 - My only Love

_______________________________________________________________________________

"I have an idea"

"A good one?"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves"

Fred and George, at some point, definitely.

________________________________________________________________________________

Betelgeuse had not had an actual conversation with her cousin in some time, and, quite frankly, she missed him. She would never admit it, but the quick-wittedness and cunningness of the Malfoy amused her greatly.

At dinner, she walked calmly towards the Slytherin table, leaving the Gryffindors gaping at her. 

She stopped before an equally surprised Draco; she smiled subtly, "May I?" It took a few seconds for him to register what she had said, then Draco nodded vigorously and pointed with his long, tapered hand the seat in front of him. "How are you, dear cousin?"

Before Draco could reply, Betelgeuse diverted her grey eyes to the prying scrutinises of the Slytherins on each side of Draco, "Get lost."

Draco would have laughed at the speed Crabbe and Goyle scrambled to their feet and moved various seats away from the Pureblood pair. She studied his cousin. The sole Heir of House Black was the embodiment of a perfect bred Pureblood, dignified and standoffish with an air of haughtiness that could pass for arrogance. He taught that he had never seen a more ethereal beauty before, aside from his mother, but that was expected. Narcissa Malfoy was a Black before marrying his father, and the Blacks were known for their aristocratic elegance and good looks. What struck Draco the most were her eyes; they were of an intense grey, eerily serene, but vindictive and cold like the fog on a sinuous road when she was aggravated. They were so unique, so different from his mother's clear blue eyes or his own clear grey ones.

"If it was not for your tie's colours, you would pass for a flawless Slytherin," Draco stated, dodging her question.

Betelgeuse hummed, then smirked, "Draco, dear, you are talented at evading direct interrogations, but it does not work with me. How have you been?"

Draco sighed, "Alright, I guess. Father is vexing me about my academic achievements 'not up to the standards of the Malfoy Family', whatever," the boy complained, making Betelgeuse smile. "My mother is worried sick about our deranged escapee of a cousin. She even suggested to withdraw me from Hogwarts! Can you imagine?"

Betelgeuse paused, "She is concerned about her son, Draco."

Draco shrugged, then glanced at the Gryffindor table, "Now that I think of it, what is that I heard about Perfect Potter insulting you?"

Betelgeuse waved her hand dismissively as the opulent food appeared before her on the Slytherin table. "Nothing to fret about, Draco. He was angry and did not comprehend to not cross me."

Draco felt himself fuel with fury at her dismissal manners, "Just to be clear, I am not allowed to hex him?" Betelgeuse only laughed, a carefree laugh that she had not yet granted Draco with. "Bel, he blatantly attacked you, and you are going to let it slide? You? A Black?"

Betelgeuse sighed, putting her fork down, "Draco, he disrespected me precisely because I am a Black. He did attack me, but I set him straight, and I do not need you to hex the boy." Draco witnessed a devious smirk make its way on her rosy lips, "But I must admit it would be a pleasant occurrence to behold."