My Granny in Red

I was six. I vividly remembered it like it was just yesterday. Granny was sitting in front of her vanity mirror, slowly and precisely putting on her makeup. While fixing her hair, she motioned for me to come near her. She embraced me tightly and whispered in my ear,

"I want you to come to me when you are sad, whenever you are lonely, and when you feel so down. So I can give you the sweetest kiss and the warmest hug. And for you to remember that you always have me."

She engraved her words into my heart. She said it when I needed to hear it the most—a woman who always has the right timing and the perfect words. After enveloping my tiny body with her warm and protective arms, she did her signature makeup finale. She put on her red lipstick and, with her pouted lips, placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Now, I marked my love on your cheek! Come with me outside and let me face those two who made my Muffin sad," she said.

She held my hand, making me feel protected. I felt braver watching her graceful stride and calmness as we approached my parents. The moment they saw her, their faces turned pale. But I felt her grip on my small hand tighter. Then, with conviction, she uttered the words that changed my life forever.

"You don't deserve to be called her parents. Even without you asking me, I will take her into my home and inside my heart. I will shower her with all the love and care she deserves. I will make sure that she becomes the better, if not the best, version of you two. This is the last time you will ever hurt her."

From then on, she became my everything. A father who taught me tricks by standing up against the bullies in grade school. A mother who was my shoulder to cry on when I had my first broken heart in high school. For all my spelling bees, she was my cheerleader. She was the best cook who fed me the most delicious foods. She was my bravest defender and shield in life's challenging times and my voice of reason and conscience during life's uncertainties. True to her words, she was always with me in my saddest and brokenness. She is always in her red lipstick, ready to give me the sweetest kiss and warmest hug.

18 years after

"Remember Muffin, your parents may have made a mistake in marrying each other, but you are not a mistake. You are God's blessing to Granny. And you will be the best wife to your husband and the best mom to your future kids. So now let us put this red on our lips."

And together, my granny Victoria and I sauntered with hands clasped. Towards the man lovingly waiting for me at the altar.

***