one

*Note: this book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, business, events, and incidents are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Read at your own risk. Enjoy.

Stepping down from a white Bentley, I glanced up to a lovely white stone Victorian mansion that stood at the center of the vast isolated estate. The place was strongly guarded with a great number of men dressed in black scattering about the driveway, some of them easily took notice of my arrival and soon approached me.

Finding myself guided through the beautiful decorated double ceiling hallway, I attempted to ease my anxiety and nerves by focusing my gaze down toward a pair of crystal pumps I had on. I held my clutch closer to my dress and when I was alerted of the destination, I looked up nervously.

"Hey." I lightly smiled. My heart eventually slowed down and caught its normal pace upon seeing the familiar face of my dear best friend.

"London! You made it!" Giovanna cheered. Her loud voice made me flinched. Not that she was usually a soft-spoken person anyways but I could never get used to her enthusiasm. We had been friends for what felt like forever and not even once that her jolly personality failed to surprise me.

"Right." I pouted, "Unfortunately, I know."

Clicking her tongue in disapproval, Giovanna narrowed her glance, "What is it with you and all the fun parties? Tell me, how could you sleep at night knowing that everybody else is here at my place, partying and dancing their nights away?"

"It's no different. Me, being here or me staying at home." I jeered, "It is like going to a steak house and you are a vegetarian."

My reply caused a big laugh to erupt from Giovanna's throat and she linked her arm around mine before dragging me further inside the living room of her house.

"Your parents are here." Giovanna said suddenly as her eyes searched for the waitress. Probably, in need of a drink. An alcoholic one, to be specific.

"I know which is why I did not want to come in the first place." I sighed.

Taking a seat beside each other at the barstool, my eyes roamed around, studying the big crowd and almost everyone had a glass in their hands. Giovanna soon joined them as she was offered one from the waitress who happened to just walk past us.

Lowering the tray of drinks in her hand for both of us, I thinned my lips nervously and turned to look at Giovanna.

"None for her." She said automatically, knowing alcoholic beverage was one of the many things I was forbidden from having.

I thanked her quietly with my glance and a soft nod before we sat in comfortable silence for a while. Not so long after that, I found myself occupied in my boredom. It had not yet been an hour and I was bored to death, sitting there not knowing what or how exactly to behave.

Partying was not my thing. Social gathering was not either but as it went, I was what I hate. I grew up in a very, what could I say a widely known family. My father was among one of the most powerful and influential businessmen in the States or shall I say, in this world. He was intelligent, hard-working, and considered the best in his workforce.

And eventually, he was recognized.

By the side of Giovanna's father, my father worked as his right hand. An even bigger, and more powerful businessman, Mr. Luciano, or known to me as Giovanna's dear papa. That was probably one of the many reasons which drew us closer and maximized our friendship. With our parents being closed to one another and my father trusted hers with his life, my relationship with Giovanna was everything anyone would expect.