034: open

(a/n: y'all?? the book is SLOWLY nearing its end😔‼️)
______________________________

eunji's p.o.v

"What?" Jungwon's voice sounded confused, "What are you talking about it..?"

The next moment, I could feel Jungwon's arm tensing.
He must have seen it too. Sangmi wore the same necklace as me.

I didn't want to believe it actually.
There was this fear inside of me from the beginning ever since he chose the necklace, but I just pushed it away.

"Do I have to word it out for you?" Dongsoo raised his eyebrow, chuckling again. His voice was loud, purposely for everyone to be able to listen.

"Dongsoo, stop." Sangmi tried to stop her boyfriend by pulling his arm back, but it didn't especially work well.

"Let me finish what I've started, Sangmi." Dongsoo turned to her with threatening eyes, making the girl look down.

"You should listen to her." I mustered up enough to look him dead in the eye.

"How can it be that you of all people show up with the same dress as my date, Eunji?" Dongsoo shook his head, seemingly disappointed, "Did you purposefully want to embarrass Sangmi? Do you think this is a competition?"

My eyes widened, a soundless gasp left my lips.

No. I wanted to scream. My eyes were wide open, threatening to tear up.
I never wanted to make a competition in which I had to compete against Sangmi.

Because I knew I'd lose.

"Hey." Jungwon started, trying to catch himself. But he was still too shocked, "I-I didn't know that-"

"This is too big of a coincidence, Eunji. You know that yourself." Dongsoo continued, taking ahold of Sangmi's necklace, "How can you show up with the exact same one? And on top of that it's a rose. Not any other flower but a rose. Don't you think there's something weird about this?"

I stayed quiet, not knowing how to reply.
What was he trying to say?

"Sangmi's favourite flower. He bought it on purpose. Jungwon bought the necklace and the dress on purpose so he could get a reaction from Sangmi." As Dongsoo's spoke I could feel Jungwon freezing completely next to me, "Maybe to make her jealous?"

I turned around to look to Jungwon again, but he just stared at Dongsoo in pure anger, his teeth gritted.

"Stop spitting nonsense." Jungwon growled, stepping forward as I pulled him back again, my eyes blank. After all, a fight was the last thing that I wanted to happen, "I didn't even know that Sangmi was going to wear the same dress. And the same...necklace."
The boy's voice grew smaller.
He knew how insincere he sounded, he was aware of the fact that he lost out to Dongsoo.

It couldn't be a mere coincidence.
All of us were aware of that.

I knew from the beginning that the design was way too obvious, but now that it might turn out to be true, I didn't want to believe it.

But at the end of the day I just needed someone to spell it out for me.

He used me.
Jungwon used me.