Chapter 1: Recruitments

A/N: Hello everyone! I decided to use she/her pronouns for Hange for this particular story. This story occurs before the appearance of the female titan in season 1. This can also be found on my AO3 account: raizoe914

A little warning that this story will be a slow-burn romance, so it'll take a while for speed to pick up. I'm not a professional writer so there will be mistakes (in grammar and the anime event sequence), this is just for fun :) 

(Y/N) groaned as she hit the ground for the seventh time that day. Her shoulder and knees ached from the repeated impact with the dirt ground. Her face was red and sweaty, her (h/c) hair a knotted mess. She was never going to get better at fighting.

"It's okay, (Y/N)," Moblit offered a hand. "You'll get it soon!"

(Y/N) ignored Moblit's outreached hand and rubbed her eyes furiously. Moblit had offered to train with her to increase her strength and stamina. So far, it wasn't working very well.

"Break," (y/n) mumbled and pushed herself into a sitting position. Moblit dropped down next to her, offering a drink of water from his flask. She took the offer and gulped down the cool water, feeling instantly refreshed.

"I'll never be strong enough," (Y/N) sighed.

"Don't say that! You just need some more practice and you'll be one of the strongest soldiers here!"

"Easy for you to say. You're great at fighting and you're insanely smart."

Moblit chuckled and ruffled her already messy hair. Their friendship had begun back in their training days when he had caught (Y/N) smuggling extra bread from the kitchen. In order to keep him quiet, (Y/N) had to relinquish some of her stolen goods.

"Are you sure you don't want to try this again?" He asked, nudging her. "I'm sure you'll be better this time."

(Y/N) nodded begrudgingly. "I do have to practice. One more round, I guess!"

Both (Y/N) and Moblit hopped to their feet, Moblit instantly taking positioning himself into an offensive stance. (Y/N) tried to remember the defensive stance he had taught her and slightly bent her knees, bringing her arms up to block his attacks. (Y/N) nodded slightly, signaling that she was ready. Moblit struck without any hesitation, his fist shooting out. (Y/N) ducked, easily avoiding his move. The small success fueled her, and she decided to strike out against him. But Moblit knew her too well and blocked her advance.

(Y/N) narrowed her eyes, trying to find a weakness. She eyed his legs which were currently unprotected and decided to strike there. She faked a punch to his stomach and tackled his legs. She was going to win this; she was finally going to—

"Mobliiit!"

(Y/N)'s breath hitched, and she glanced up. Hange was running in their direction, her eyes glinting with excitement. (Y/N)'s heartbeat increased and her already flushed face grew redder. Moblit took advantage of her distracted state and flipped her onto her back.

"I win again," Moblit sighed. He turned his attention to Hange.

"Section Commander Hange," he greeted.

(Y/N) lay on the ground on her back and winced. Her breath had been knocked out of her, both physically and emotionally. She panted heavily and mentally kicked herself. Hange had just witnessed her embarrassing defeat. She was also witnessing her in her worst state—sweaty, tired, and tomato red.

"Oh, dear, Moblit go easy on the poor gal," Hange exclaimed as she peered at you. She extended out a hand.

(Y/N) accepted the help and pulled herself up. "Thanks, Section Commander."

Hange's attention had already returned to what she had initially come to talk to Moblit about. "Moblit! Guess what? I got Erwin to agree to us capturing another titan!"

"That's great," Moblit exclaimed, his face saying otherwise. He did not share the same enthusiasm about titans that Hange had. But he was still supportive of whatever adventures she wanted to go on.

"I've been bugging him since the last one died, but he always said we didn't have any time but now with Eren being a titan, he said I could get one to experiment on!" Hange continued an enthusiastic grin on her face. "We can finally learn even more about the titans!"

(Y/N) smiled at Moblit's apprehensive expression. "Sounds like fun. Have fun you two."

"Oh, (Y/N), I was just going to ask you to help us! After we capture the tians, I'm gonna have so much paperwork to do along with my experimentations! I've got Moblit to help with the experiments, but I need another assistant for the actual data analyses and transcription of our findings. Moblit said you were good with those kinds of things. Would you like to work with me?" Hange asked, gripping (Y/N)'s arms.

Moblit stifled a smirk. (Y/N)'s eyes widened. Spend time with Hange? She was down. But data analyses? Summary reports? Titan experimentations? She was already swamped with training; she didn't know how she would be able to manage additional work.

Noticing (Y/N)'s hesitation, Hange added, "Don't worry, there are some perks to this too! Maybe I could convince Erwin to get you your own room like Moblit since you'll need extra quiet time.

(Y/N) would get her own room and not have to share with two other girls? That sounded like heaven. But was it really worth all of the extra work that came with the job?

"It'll be fun, (Y/N), we'll get to work together," Moblit nudged her.

(Y/N) shot him a look before returning her attention to Hange, who was staring at her intently. "Uh...sure, I guess."

"Yay," Hange cheered, pulling her in for a quick hug. "Moblit will show you around the lab and my office and he will get you started. I look forward to working with you!"

(Y/N) watched Hange leave, practically running to the next place she wanted to get to. Hange was always buzzing with energy.

"Oh man, you don't know what you just got into," Moblit grinned wickedly.

(Y/N) hit his arm. "Shut up. You were the one who was like join us (Y/N)! It'll be fun (Y/N)! I can't believe you recommended me to her!"

"It'll be fun seeing you interact with section commander Hange. She is a force of nature."

(Y/N) rolled her eyes. Her heart was still beating faster than normal, and she could feel the presence of Hange's arms around her own. She didn't know why she reacted like that whenever Hange was around, it was just automatic. It was funny, because when she first joined the survey corps, she had hardly noticed the crazy scientist. It wasn't until (Y/N) saw her in action that she began to admire her. She found everything about her endearing. Her lively personality, her passion for finding the truth, her strength...

That's right, (Y/N) thought. She just admired her. She just admired her strength and intelligence and wanted to be her friend. There's nothing more to it.

Moblit waved his hand in front of (Y/N)'s face. "Hey, back to earth! Let's go hit the showers and I'll give you a tour of the lab and the office and give you your first assignment!"

"I can't wait," (Y/N) stated sarcastically as she began to walk towards the bathrooms.