Chapter 6: Sleep-That's an Order!

(Y/N) groaned and leaned back into the chair, resting her head against the chair's wooden back. She looked around the upside-down room and rubbed her bleary eyes. She didn't know what time it was, all she knew was that it was dark outside. Hange really was driving her up a wall. She closed her eyes, deciding that a few minutes of shut-eye wouldn't hurt.

Random images flashed through her brain about the day she had. She thought of Moblit and how he didn't treat her any differently after finding out she was attracted to a female. She internally groaned and realized she had to deal with her feelings someday. Actually...maybe she didn't have to, she could live with it for the rest of her life, hopefully, it would fade over time. It was just a tiny crush, after all.

"Whatcha thinking about?"

(Y/N)'s eyes flew open and were met with brown ones, she instinctually shot up and bumped her head with the person's who was standing over her. She yelped and grabbed her forehead.

"Ouch," Hange mumbled, rubbing the spot on her forehead that collided with (Y/N)'s.

"Section commander Hange," (Y/N) gasped. "I am so sorry!"

"No worries, (Y/N)! It was my fault for scaring you," Hange chirped and leaned against the desk.

"I—" (Y/N) stuttered, not knowing what to say. Why was Hange in her room?

Hange looked around the room as if she were inspecting it. "This room looks exactly like how I gave it to you a month ago. You're pretty tidy, (Y/N). Levi would be impressed."

"Thanks," (Y/N) smiled, urging her face to not go red, "did you need something, section commander?"

"Oh yes!" Hange clapped. "I came to get the report on Eren's advance on his hardening abilities."

"Of course, I'll get it right now," (Y/N) pulled a folder closer, going through her organized sections, trying to find the report. It wasn't in this section...or this one.... where was it? Panic started to settle in. Did she even do the report? She flipped through the papers with more vigor. It had to be here.

"(Y/N)?" Hange asked, curiously.

"It's right here, section commander, I'll find it," (Y/N) insisted, pulling drawers out. She knew she wrote that report.

"(Y/N) its fin—"

"No, no, I wrote it I swear!" (Y/N) could feel a lump in her throat and her cheeks flushing from embarrassment. Now was not the time to panic.

"(Y/N), if you can't find it, it's alright—"

"But I did write it, section commander," (Y/N)'s voice rose an octave. Maybe it was the lack of sleep or maybe it was her desire to make Hange proud, but (Y/N) was panicking now.

"(Y/N)," Hange leaned forward and gently put a hand on (Y/N)'s chin, angling her face away from the desk. "It's alright! I didn't need the report today, anyways. You've got plenty of time!"

(Y/N) felt as if time froze as she looked into Hange's warm eyes. She could stare at Hange for hours without even realizing the passage of time.

"I'm sorry," (Y/N) whispered.

"As I said, It's totally okay! Your work surpasses all of my expectations! If you take a break now and then, I wouldn't mind," Hange smiled, her hand still under (Y/N)'s chin.

(Y/N) gulped, becoming slightly uncomfortable in the situation. She didn't mind Hange's touch, but she didn't know what to say next. Hange leaned forward and took a good look at (Y/N)'s face. She frowned and tilted her head to the side.

"Are you getting any sleep, (Y/N)? Your eye circles are way darker than I remember, and you just seem weak in general," Hange asked, concerned.

"I am," (Y/N) assured, lying through her teeth. "Don't worry about me!"

"Oh, really? Why aren't you asleep now, it's well into the night," Hange raised an eyebrow.

(Y/N) sighed. She couldn't lie to Hange. "I haven't slept well for a while."

"Why? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah... it's just I have a lot of work to do," (Y/N) said honestly. "The reports, training, I'm also helping Petra teach the new cadets ODM gear techniques. Not to mention captain Levi's cleaning requirements."

Hange took her hand away from (Y/N)'s face. "Why didn't you tell me? I wouldn't have given you so much work!"

"No, it's okay! I love doing research for you, it's not even a chore!" (Y/N) insisted.

Hange chuckled. "I love hearing that. But you do need your sleep! You can't function with just two hours. You need your beauty sleep. I need my assistant at her best!"

Hange wrapped her fingers around (Y/N)'s wrist and pulled her from the chair. (Y/N) followed Hange silently as she led her to the bed. Hange pulled (Y/N) towards the front of the bed and pushed her into it. Hange then picked up the folded blanket that was lying near the foot of the bed and placed it onto (Y/N)'s sitting form.

"Sleep, (Y/N)! That's an order," Hange grinned.

(Y/N) giggled. She couldn't help it. Having a commanding officer tuck you into bed was borderline comical. "Yes, section commander Hange!"

Hange walked back to the desk and blew out the flame of the candle, bathing the room in darkness. She walked towards the door, her hand on the knob before she turned back around. "Oh, and you can call me Hange. Saying section commander every time you call me is just tedious!"

Hange left the room before (Y/N) could reply. (Y/N) stared after her, missing the way that Hange's hand felt against her cheek. She wanted Hange back in the room, wanted to hear her talk about anything. (Y/N) wanted...she wanted to know what Hange's lips felt like.

At that thought (Y/N) buried herself under her covers, her face on fire. Her plan was backfiring, her crush was only getting stronger with every new interaction. She hadn't thought about kissing Hange before, but now it was the only thing on her mind.