Pillows

I took a deep breathe before focusing on the amber in front of me. Purple surrounded my hands and it slowly went around the amber. A burning sensation started flowing up my arms. 'Stay focused. Any little bit you can melt now will make it easier in the future.' The purple mist started getting darker and darker the farther it inched up my arms. I bit my lip as the pain started getting worse. 'I'm doing this for Varian. I don't want him to go through what I did. Any little bit will help.' My eyes widened as I saw the dark midnight purple mist slowly turn into the familiar blood red.

'Ahh how foolish of you. Willing to put yourself in danger for what? Another mere mortal?' The voice rang in the front of my mind. I shook my head trying to get it out before focusing back on the amber. I felt something start falling from my nose. 'You're putting your talents to waste. Why even try and help humanity especially after all they've done to you?' I gritted my teeth as I glared at the amber. The mist starting to cover my chest and make its way around my waist.

"Shut up!" I glared at the amber as I saw a single drop fall onto the floor. 'They took the person you love the most away from you and you're helping them?!' The voice got louder and my head started pounding. "The past doesn't matter! The people who killed my mother were following your orders!! Don't act like we're friends when you only want to bring destruction!" I yelled as I felt my eyes start to flicker up. 'Uh oh did I strike a nerve? What if I go after your little boyfriend? Since you care about him so much you'd do anything for him wouldn't you?' The voice said softer and I felt every ounce of resistance I had blow down faster than the leaves in fall.

My eyes rolled into the back of my head as I heard a menacing laugh. My body felt like it was twisting and turning in every way possible. I was about to let out a scream when I felt two hands on my cheeks. My eyes rolled back and I saw Varian in front of me. My body started giving out and I fell forward. Varian caught me by wrapping his arms around me keeping me up.

"What are you doing down here?" He asked as he brushed a piece of hair out of my face and wiped under my nose with a cloth. I looked into his blue eyes with half lidded ones. I looked up at Quirin in the amber and nodded towards it. He carefully lifted me up into his arms bridal style and placed me onto a chair in his lab. "You have to be careful." He said going to wipe my nose again but I pushed his hand away. "Cmon don't be like that." He said going to wipe it again, but I stopped it and pointed his arm to the small part I melted.

I wiped my nose with the sleeve of his shirt. "Th-there...I...m-melt-ted it." I said still pointing to what I did. "J-just a lit-tle bit more a-and I c-can..." I head hit his shoulder and I took a few deep breathes as the room was spinning around me. Varian was silent as I laid my head on him. "You were able to melt it a little bit. Maybe if you had more power you could melt the entire thing." Varian said as he leaned me back so I was sitting up and not against him. He started inspecting my hands and arms. "Where does your magic come from?" He asked looking up at me. I gently tapped over his heart and moved his head down to tap the back of his head.

"Heart and mind?" He asked looking up at me. I lightly shook my head. "Mind, body, and soul." I said softly. I watched as he grabbed one of his many notebooks and started writing things down. He suddenly looked up at me and our eyes locked. I felt my cheeks heat up as I stared down into his eyes. I saw something in his eyes before he kissed my cheek and ran out of the lab almost tripping a few times. I smiled softly as I watched him. My eyes were drooping as I waited for him to return. My eyes closed and my head started falling forwards. Before it could fall all the way a hand held my head up. "Woah! Careful." I opened my eyes slightly to see Varian with one hand holding my head up and the other with a few blankets in his arms.

He laid a couple of the blankets on the floor and put the rest over the piece of amber. He lifted me up once again and laid me on the blankets. "I'll grab a couple pillows and I'll be back." He said kissing my cheek and leaving. When he walked back he had more pillows than he could carry and a couple more blankets. I watched as he dropped a few pillows and almost tripped on the ones he dropped. I laughed as I watched him. I watched as he laid out the pillows. He sat behind me. He put a blanket on top of both of us and pulled me into his lap.

"Care to explain what you're doing?" I asked smiling softly. "Maybe we can figure out a way to enhance your powers. As for the blankets. You really need some rest. You look like you're about to pass out any second. And we're here because I wanted to get started, but I wanted to stay with you." He said pulling me closer to him and kissing my jawline. I blushed and bit my lip softly. "Get comfy. We're going to be down here for awhile." He said as he started writing in his notebook. I nodded and placed my nose in between his neck and shoulder. "Wake me up when you need help." I said as I got more comfortable. He held me closer to him. "I will milady." My eyes fluttered shut and I fell fast asleep in his arms.