forty

Naomi Black

Naomi Black

Glitter.

Jean Jacket.

Jersey.

Leggings.

Converse.

"Happy Game Day to the people of Happy Valley! More importantly—Happy Alumni Day! If you see an alumni today, give them a hug! Remember a hug a day keeps the failures in life away!" The announcer's voice spoke from the stadium.

We were in-line to get scanned into the field. Finn was standing with her parents, they were both alumni so they got into the game free, but they also got all of the perks. Free drinks, all the good shit.

It was packed to say the least. Surrounding me was a sea of white and blue. Jerseys with the numbers #9, #10, and #17 were everywhere. Also known as Mattison Williams, Griffin Johnson, and Blake Day.

It was the last home game of the season—the last regular game of the season. If we won this it was time for the playoffs. It was the last time Matti would be playing here with the boys.

I was doing my best to occupy myself with things other than my mind. I was a stone cold frigid bitch on the outside, but on the outside I felt like shit. Literally. For the past 24 hours I had managed to rip off all cuticles surrounding my nails, and my nails were all chewed down to the bit.