Chapter 16

"So, what have I missed?" Serena asked her husband, both of them lying on her bed at Magnus' house.

"Dad is back, so is Max. Both of them were asking for you and Mom was worried. Clary thanked me for helping save Luke, even though I only did it for you and Magnus, still, it was weird. But the Clave has lost faith in us. The Lightwood name has lost its' honour after all the missions I authorized without permission from the Clave."

Serena looked up at Alec, cupping his cheek. "I authorized those missions with you. We are both Acting Heads of the Institute. It was not your fault."

Alec pressed a slow kiss to her lips before she settled back on his chest. "I'm assuming Maryse has a plan, though?"

"For once she doesn't."

Serena met his eyes. "Maryse Lightwood, doesn't have a plan to get back on top?"

"Nope. I'd imagine she'd arrange a marriage for Izzy and me but, seeing as I'm already married and most Shadowhunters aren't too fond of Izzy's Downworld connections, it doesn't look like it's going to happen."

"I have Downworld connections though."

"Yes, but your connections are strictly professional and political unless, you're sleeping with Raphael or someone else behind my back?"

Her laughed was a welcome sound as she laid back down on his chest.

"Please, he's too cold to sleep with."

Alec only shook his head at her.

"We'll find a way to restore our family name."

Alec played with the ends of her blonde locks absentmindedly. "You know sometimes I forget that you have the same last name as me. It always seemed like a dream that would never come true."

She smiled into his chest, holding him closer.

"But if you're looking for a way to restore the family honour, you could find a way to keep the Seelies on our side. They think Valentine could win seeing as he killed their scouts. They're considering defecting."

"I'll contact Meliorn and get a conference with the Queen. It may take a while, but I might be able to convince her."

But before Alec could protest to his wife going alone after the last couple encounters with death she'd had, Jace knocked on the door.

"Hey, uh, Alec can we have a moment?"

Alec looked to Serena for confirmation that it was ok to leave her with her brother. She nodded at him and Alec kissed her goodbye before leaving the room.

"What's up?" Serena asked as she hugged her knees.

"I'd have figured you had more to say to me," Jace admitted as he sat on the edge of the bed.

"I do. But yelling at you won't solve anything."

"How are we twins? You're so calm, and level-headed," he laughed in disbelief.

Serena smiled. "When I want to be. Also, it's called being more mature than you, baby brother."

"Rena, I am so sorry. For everything. I almost got you killed. And I- I'm just sorry. I've been a terrible brother lately, and I've hurt you and Alec and Izzy. I just didn't want Clary to end up orphans like us."

Serena scooted closer to her brother.

"Family doesn't end in blood. We can choose our family too. And while our birth parents may be dead, Robert and Maryse raised us, they are just as much our parents. And Izzy, Alec and Max are our family. And while I agree that you've been a terrible brother lately, I understand why you acted the way you did."

Jace looked at the floor.

"I don't deserve to be forgiven. I almost killed you."

Serena put her hands on his shoulders.

"All those close calls with death come with the job. And you were already forgiven, little brother. I just wanted to hear you apologise first."

Jace laughed as his eyes fogged up.

"I am sorry," he said as a tear dripped down his face, she was the only person he ever cried in front of. The only person.

"It's ok," she promised as she hugged him and Jace shuddered with relief.

He had really missed his big sister.

"So, tell me about this thing that you have for Clary. If you're gonna be with her then I guess I can learn to tolerate her," she said as she pulled away, resting her chin on her palm.

"What thing?"

She scoffed. "If you think that you can lie to me you have another thing coming Jacey."

Jace sighed as he wiped his eyes.

Talking about his feelings wasn't really something he did either.

"Well, I-I like her. I don't know what that demon memory thing was but, I-I I'm attracted to her. Wait, no, why am I telling you this? My big sister should be the last person I'm telling this to," Jace said as he stood, brushing a gloved hand through his hair.

"I'm the only person you should be telling this to. Except for Alec. I'll just get the information out of him later."

"That is unfair," Jace said as he pointed a finger at her and she grinned innocently.

"Hey, it's not my fault that my husband is impervious to my charm,' she said as she flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"He treats you well, doesn't he? I know he's my parabatai and we grew up together, but I just need to ask."

Her smile was soft and small as she said, "He does. Sometimes he's better than I deserve."

"You're better than he deserves," Jace said defensively as he sat back down. "You deserve the world, Rena. And I'm glad that Alec can give it to you. In fact, there's no one else I would trust with you. I know I haven't shown it recently, but you mean everything to me, big sister, and I do love you."

Serena smiled as she kissed his cheek, laying her head down on his shoulder.

"I love you too."