twenty

HAYDEN
**
***
*****

I wanted to die laughing as I watched how nervous Casey was all day. Even while she was with my mother, I could feel her take glances in my direction, checking to see if I was looking.

I would sneak a few looks in her direction whenever she wasn't looking, I won't lie.

"Hayden," Dad called over, making me groan and look his way. He sat on the couch, one arm over the other, and waved at me. "Hi."

"Hey," I greeted with a chuckle, sitting beside him. "What's up?"

"Two things," he replied, sitting up. "First..."

His sentence paused and he raised his fist, making me slightly blush and bump fists with him. All Dad did was pat me on my back and look up at the ceiling. He closed his eyes, mumbling, "I raised you well."

The laugh escaped before I could stop it, noticing the way Dad's lips twitched up before he looked at me.

"What's the second thing?" I asked, watching as his smile slowly vanished until he was looking at me with dead seriousness.

Oh God...

"That young woman with your mother," he spoke, causing my attention to go to Casey as she conversed with Mum, "is the full package—that's something hard to find in some women and men, trust me. If I find out that you've disrespected her in any sort of manner, I'm going to make sure you regret it until after death, you hear me?"

I nodded slowly, my eyes still on Casey until he caught my attention by smacking the back of my head. I looked at him.

"I know for a fact that I taught you how to really take care of your woman, Hayden," he continued, ruffling my hair up. "Take care of her."

I nodded again, this time making sure it was firmer. Dad's smile returned quickly and he nodded, staring up at the ceiling. "So, you want me and your mother to leave for a few more days—"

"Oh my god," I whispered to myself.

"—because if so, I've got a pair of handcuffs hid—"

"For fuck's sake, Dad," I let out, covering my ears. My entire face felt like it was on fire.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry," he laughed out, shaking his head. "I'll figure something out, don't worry."

I groaned to myself, looking away from him. I grumbled, "Thank you."

Dad chuckled softly, patting my shoulder again before standing up. "Glad we're on the same page then. Don't fuck this up or I'll smack the shit out of you."

I smiled, nodding. I watched as he walked into the kitchen, catching my mother's attention. I grinned as he kissed her cheek, wrapping an arm around her and pulling her out of the kitchen for attention. I could hear Mum calling out her apology to Casey just as Dad walked the two of them into his office and closing the door.

I went to stand up but Casey was already walking towards me, sitting directly on my lap. My hands went to her hips to keep her still, grinning at her when she pressed her lips to mine.